bright or galvanised nails?

Hi,

I'm looking to buy some nails and see that Tool station sell galavanised nails for more or less the same price as bright nails. If I buy the galvanised version, don't I get the added benefit that they are more rust resistant and could be used outdoors? Is there any reason to ever buy the bright version?

TIA

Reply to
Fred

Galvanised and zinc based metals need an etch primer before painting and I don't think this sort of primer is readily available to joe public. Whether it make any difference on such a small area I don't know. I'd have thought that most interior jobs need smaller and different heads from those used outdoors and available galvanised?

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Wickes sell/sold (can't find 'em atm) stainless steel ring nails, but only

65mm long. Ah, got it:
are also 'exterior'-quality nails (bit like decking screws) on Wickes site.
Reply to
PeterC

The "galvanised" nails I just bought from a timber merchant to fix a fence were bright and shiny, but rather soft. Some sort of alloy I imagine. They didn't seem to stock the old style zinc nails.

Reply to
stuart noble

Hot-dipped galvanised (or stainless) is what you really need for exterior pressure-treated woodwork - regular galvanised fixings can be too prone to reaction with the stuff that they treat the wood with. I'm not sure that zinc's supposed to be much good in that kind of situation, either.

(I've seen such "soft" fixings before, incidentally, but still rated for treated wood use - so it's not an automatic indication that they're the wrong thing for the job)

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson