Bright ideas department - vintage door knocker

In a fit of enthusiasm I bought a vintage front door knocker off Ebay.

The problem is that the knocker part is very free moving and every time the door is opened or closed the knocker - - well it knocks!

First thoughts was a bit of non-corrosive spring (phosphor bronze / beryllium copper?) but I'm not seeing anything suitable on Ebay (can't think of any where else for small quantities). A new thought is some sort of damping foam pad. Basically I'm looking for something to absorb the swing movement but allow the 'man' operated knock.

Ideas? Rob

Reply to
robgraham

pictures worth a thousand.....

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Photo?

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

allweirdthings.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/04/wei-doorknocker.jpg

Reply to
Eric

a hard rubber pad in the hinge area that means you have to welly it a bit to connect to the striker..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Presumably it's got some sort of pivot/hinge - can you stuff a bit of something into that to increase it's resistance?

Reply to
Lobster

Wind a bit of copper wire into the gap between fixed and moving bits and twist up to increase the friction?

Reply to
harry

Magnets?

Brian