Briggs & Stratton fuel additive to prevent gum formation

Briggs & Stratton make a fuel additive which is supposed to prevent the formation of gum in fuel systems of, for example, grass cutters which are left unused in the winter.

Is it any good. I normally run garden equipment engines until all the fuel is used if I know they will not be used for a while.

Reply to
Michael Chare

Maybe they have some merit but in the 12 years I had a petrol lawn mower I never bothered and left it sit over Winter, I never had any problems, same with some motor bikes. Maybe the fuel formulas are more demanding these days.

Reply to
ss

Can't say I've ever noticed any problems with the four stroke mower or two stroke strimmer left with fuel in over winter. Bear in mind "winter" up here as far as grass cutting is concerned lasts from October to May inclusive, 8 months...

I've seen discussion of these additives around the net but generaly speaking only in the USA does one read of any benefits. I guess the blend of hydrocarbons that makes their "gas" is different to the blend that makes our "petrol", even for the same octane rating. The octane rating is only a measure of how the fuel burns it doesn't say anything about what blend of hydrocarbons the fuel is made from.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

when I laid mine up for 2 years house building, it wouldnt start till a half tank of fresh was added to the stale

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

My neighbour heard me having so much difficulty trying to start my previous Flymo that he offered to lend me one of his grass cutters.

My replacement Flymo has a much better Honda engine probably with electronic ignition that starts much more easily. The idea of using the Briggs & Stratton additive came from a Hayter instruction manual for one of their grass cutters. No prizes for guessing who makes the engine.

Reply to
Michael Chare

Get into the 21st century and use an electric mower.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

My grass seems to be still growing and I'm waiting for a fairly dry day to do the last cut of the year.

Reply to
alan_m

The best thing I did was to buy a petrol mower. Cutting the lawn takes a third of the time it did with an electric mower. No more trailing cables to clear out of the way and roll back up when finished. No more struggling with the first cut of the year when the grass may be long and wet.

Reply to
alan_m

The best thing I did was to buy an electric mower. No struggling to start the bloody thing, no filling it with petrol, no forgetting to have any spare and having to drive to the petrol station to get some.

Why leave your grass that long? Why not use a strimmer if you've neglected it?

The cable does NOT get in the way unless you cut the lawn in a very retarded way. You start cutting at the side nearest your power socket, and go up and down the lawn, gradually moving away from it. The cable can therefore never overtake you. It's really not rocket science.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

Much more powerful engine helps and allows mower to be semi-self-propelled, too.

Mr 1265 is stuck in the 13th Century.

Reply to
Tim Streater

And just how big is the area you're cutting?

Reply to
J.B.Treadstone

Helps what? My electric mower has never had a problem cutting the grass.

Much lighter electric mower means it doesn't have to be.

Which came first, petrol cars or electric cars?

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

You use a cable the length of the area you're cutting, it's not that hard.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

I never struggle to start mine. I turn the key and it starts.

I'd like to cut mine again but now it'll never be dry enough. It was warm and wet all through November. That's why it's long.

Indeed. I'd need an extra couple of extension cords here (about 1/3 acre). Fuck that. With the petrol jobby it takes about an hour 15 mins, including stops to empty the bag.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Same here, just over 1/3 of an acre. Had an electric one once, it wasn't up to the job. Soon got rid of it.

Reply to
J.B.Treadstone

Reply to
J.B.Treadstone

Sit-on mower? Every petrol mower I've seen requires pulling a cord to start it. And they have one cylinder, which makes it twice as hard to start as a Citroen 2CV.

It doesn't have to be dry to cut it with a petrol or an electric mower. I live in Scotland, it doesn't get much wetter. And the grass only grows really fast if it gets lots of sun, which tends to mean it's dry anyway.

What's wrong with using extension cords? It takes seconds to connect them. And why not just fit a cable of the correct length to the mower? Or leave the extension cords connected to the mower?

I mow at the same speed as someone with a petrol mower - my walking pace.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

Elaborate on "wasn't up to the job". You get different sizes of electric mowers, just like you get different sizes of petrol mowers.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

Why do you think it's silly to use a cable of the right length? You're the idiot if your cable is too short.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

I found hand starting my old car a mare. It was easier to push start. Thank god for mod cons.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr