Brickwork vintage guide bricklaying 1945 FA

Superb vintage book on brickwork and bricklaying .Ex lib. 1945 excellent condition. Section 1 Materials -Brickwork / Section 2 Brickwork construction / Section 3 Craftsmanship in Brickwork

Covers everything to do with bricklaying in very thorough detail,including old styles,tools ,corners,stopped ends,radius brick, splay brick toothing etc. Much more!

Sarah M.

WOW!!! Did you manage to put that on EBay by yourself? Bricklaying is still done the same way today as it was back in the 17 hundreds, or even earlier, so a book that covers this type of thing is still available today, and it's cheaper to buy new. The only things that have any major differences is the types and solutions used in the mortar mixes, but these too can be found for no cost on the WWW.

Good luck with your auction though.

Reply to
BigWallop

I've only started using this group, but looking at the quality of your comments, BigWallop, you certainly strike me as the "village asshole".

Reply to
RR

Once you've got some experience of groups, you'll find *all* adverts are fair game. People who advertise are looking for something for nothing - and rarely contribute to the group.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That may be true but the group charter does say "Private individuals wishing to sell (or give away!) relevant items can use this group to advertise them, within reason, so long as they post a followup when what is for sale is no longer available"

Reply to
Tony Bryer

This particular eBayer is a regular spammer all over Usenet. Unfortunately eBay refuse to act, as she posts from a disposable email address.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Why, Thank you. Remind me never to reply to any of your questions then. :-))

Reply to
BigWallop

You have noticed too. Sad.

Reply to
IMM

I'm kind of amazed that the simple posting of a book for sale on an NG can create such a furore. I am actually a private person who sells on Ebay as a hobby,or rather to provide a smallish income whilst I bring up the sprogs. My own opinion,is that the odd advert from individual sellers is not particularly offensive on any newsgroup...it's not as though I'm a giant corporation or anything. I post to the textiles NGs and although we have a marketplace ng, people often ignore the fact and post adverts.Do we get overexcited about it? Nope, not usually. My view is that ngs that are mainly populated by men have a higher than usual quota of "trainspotter" types who are easily given to bouts of agitation when their territory is invaded. But...I might be wrong! ;-))

love Sarah

Reply to
Sarah M.

You're right that you're wrong. A book sale is the best place to sell and advertise books, I'd have thought. The people using this group, and there are ladies in here too, are usually competent enough to have already bought or sought books and instruction manuals on the things we discuss in this group.

The group is normally used by DIYers who need further tips on a project they are, or about to be, undertaking. They never normally come in here to ask who's selling books on medieval brick laying. Well, not in my experience anyways.

We don't take free advertising in the group to lightly, mainly, because it would be to easy for any of the actual trades people that are giving advice here to tell people that they can come round and the job for them at a price. That's advertising your wares, isn't it?

You didn't even have the common courtesy to place the universal symbol "OT" meaning "Off Topic" at the beginning of your post. This might have at least warned people of the nature of your post.

You also didn't post an explanation of your intention to post an advert in an OFF TOPIC for book sales newsgroup. Your first posting could have been in the nature of "I'm in possession of a book about medieval brick laying that I'd like to sell, would anyone mined if I placed details in the group to tell people about it?". You may have got a good few responses from the users about the kinds of things it has tell about. You may even have been asked how much you wanted for it.

But, to blatantly come in here to sell your wares to people who are to busy with their own DIY techniques, is, in my opinion, really daft.

So, again, you're right that you're wrong.

Reply to
BigWallop

Please spare us from posts of this nature. If you're going to post this then you might as well post the substantive message. Otherwise you get this, four people saying 'fine', two saying 'go away' and the follow-up.

Please read the group charter. Commercial ads of the sort you describe here are not allowed. Private individuals adverts for relevant items are allowed. IMHO a book on bricklaying skills is relevant but YMMV

Reply to
Tony Bryer

That's because you're spamming scum. You have so little respect for anyone else that you don't even have the decency to post a [ebay] or [fa] or [spam] header in the subject line.

I don't care how little your business is - how well do you think Usenet would work if we all did what you do ? You are a selfish little brat who thinks the world revolves around you and your interests alone.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

And to what end, one might ask?

Physician heal thyself...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Dingley likes to haunt usenet ,smug in his self appointed position of netcop,just the sort of angry little person I find so very tedious.Personally I don't like newsgroup spamming myself,however in the scheme of things this seems pretty harmless,certainly not worthy of having some maggot call you scum and a brat etc., I think Dinglys kind of extreme language ugly and so very revealing. Myself ,I don't think he'd be QUITE so brave and threatening if A.he wasn't dealing with a women and B. if it was a face to face situation. CK

Reply to
Celtic King

He posts to this group on many subjects.

What *I* find tedious in the extreme are those who only post ads, and those who only post to support them.

What they fail to realise is that their nice little captive audience would be no more if everyone did only this.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Ugly as the snip was, he did actually in this instance have you bang to rights.

Now f*ck off and play with yourself.

Reply to
Michael Mcneil

Hilarious ! You're about as convincing as the American cop-shooter

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Didn't make it down the Beaufort then? You must have decided being abusive to women posters was more fun than actually showing your face I expect.

Just out of interest where do you drink? The 'culli perhaps?

Reply to
Celtic King

Aaaah but you weren't QUITE as hysterical as Dingley,or so threatening.Anyway,I've met Dingley and I don't like the creep.

Now that you, yourself, have given out where you stay

Hahaha,That would be a very unwise move on your part! Anyway,yer welcome to try.

CK

Reply to
Celtic King

Really ? WTF are you then ? I can think of a couple of possibles, but none really strike me as likely.

I didn't go out to Stoke Gifford because - well, it's Stoke Gifford.

Reply to
Andy Dingley