Brickwork getting discoloured white by mortar.

Hi,

I had two perimeter garden brick walls erected last autumn by two separate conractors. I have noticed of late that a substantial number of bricks have a white discolouring on them . This appears to be coming from the mortar joints and looks very unsightly.

I appreciate we have had a very wet winter/spring and probably this may have something to do with it but I'd like to know:_

a) What is the real reason for it , and

b) What should i\ do to get rid of the problem.

Any assistance is much appreciated.

Jim

Reply to
Yvonne

Sounds like "Efflorescence". Salts in the motar or bricks finding it's way to the surface. Read more here

b) What should i\ do to get rid of the problem.

You can brush it off but it will return until all the salts have come out.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

yes..just leave it. It will eventually wash off.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Hand brush and a bucket of clean water and wash it off was the advice I remember from 3 months at a brick company many years ago. :-)

Mark S.

Reply to
Mark S.

In message , Yvonne writes

Got some of my own unfortunately :-(

Pressure washer, shallow angle. Try to wash the stuff *off*, not *in* to the bricks.

It will most likely come back though until such time as the salt content has been exhausted or something - "efflourescence" seems to be a bit of a black art rather than a science :-(

Hth Someone

Reply to
somebody