Brickwork

My kitchen waste pipe discharges through the back wall of the house. Until yesterday it used push-fit connections; one of these had given way and waste water has been discharging down the wall. I've replaced the lot with cemented and compression joints, but there's quite a bit of green fungus on the outer wall under where the pipe passes through. The bricks and mortar seem to be in good condition, but is there a recommended fungicide suitable for brickwork?

Thanks -

Reply to
Frank Erskine

If it's green it's algae not fungus. Either way it will die of thirst now your pipe is not leaking. Leave it alone for a few weeks and then just brush it off. No need for painting your home with poison.

Reply to
biff

Thanks - I really meant algae - it just came out as fungus!

Cheers -

Reply to
Frank Erskine

I use household bleach.

Reply to
<me9

Ditto.

Andy

Reply to
andrewpreece

If visible, it looks shit if they aren't. The wall does have to be vertical

Reply to
harry

If you mean horizontal, ideally yes, It looks better that way, generally.

Reply to
charles

the English won't know that word'

Reply to
charles

Unless you are building an arch, or something artistic...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

But we can look it up.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You can get brick, block and stone walls that follow the slope of the land and look OK but my preference is for a stepped wall with level courses. I think the essential thing is to get the courses in line if you are following the slope nothing looks more unaesthetic than courses with uneven mortar lines and bricks out of alignment with their neighbours.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

I've seen old garden/estate walls built parallel to ground level, following at least about one in twenty slopes. In a hilly part of the country this probably would not work.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Makes some sense when you watch it being applied. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Indeed so. The walled garden at Calke Abbey has a section originally built like that, but later work has raised it and those courses are tapered in to be (nearer) horizontal.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

If someone built a house like that you might be able to condemn it on some general rule like "looks likely to fall down", I would have thought.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

You mean regardless of the lie of the land? That just sounds like poor workmanship. Isn't there some rule about how thick a mortar bed can safely be?

Reply to
Roger Hayter

You'd be wrong if it follows the lie of the land and the slope isnt huge.

Reply to
John_j

If you want to ask a question fine, but if you do for goodness sake include context to the question or people will shove into their back corner of their newsreaders where all the cobwebs and spiders live. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

What was the reason for trying to condemn it?

Reply to
tabbypurr

We can make a good guess at it though - and Google confirms that it was correct.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker