Bricks Stored Outside - OK?

Hi all

Will bricks stored outside degrade at all? I have kept some reclaimed bricks for filling a flue opening. These have been stood outside in all weathers since earlier this year. I saw a recent post which implied that bricks were only weather resistant on their facing side - is this true? Believe that the bricks I have should be OK as they haven't been subject to frost etc.

Any comments?

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

When my in-laws moved, they refused to leave about 1500 bricks that had stood in their garden since 1956 when the house was built, so we land rovered them up here, and I built a garden wall with them.

Complete with the original moss...Perfection incarnate, Best bricks I have ever used.

OTOH a soft Tudor brick will like as not be reduced to red paste after a few winters.

They are really only suitable for interior use, or use in well controlled outside areas free of driving rain and frost.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

"The Natural Philosopher"wrote

Sorry should have mentioned these are 1970s bricks

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

Not exactly -- simply the fewer exposed faces and the quicker the faces shed water, the less will be absorbed. An exposed top horizontal surface would be bad, as more water will hit it, and it won't be shed very well. An exposed frog would be the worse, as it creates a pool to soak in to the brick.

An even more important feature is the absorbtion of the brick. Engineering bricks at one end of the spectrum absorb so little that they are used where regularly/continuously exposed to water. Some indoor bricks in the other hand are very absorbant.

Get them covered but well ventilated so they can dry out before winter.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote

Thanks Andrew