Bricks blowing

Hi
Interesting question: what causes bricks to blow out, their surfaces to expand and turn to powder?
Regards, NT
On 13 Feb 2004 09:52:05 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@meeow.co.uk (N. Thornton) wrote:

Would it not be water ingress ,then the water freezing,expanding and doing the damage .? Stuart
--

"YESTERDAY is history,TOMORROW is a mystery,TODAY is a gift

That is why it is called the present "
N. Thornton wrote:

In the case of soft victorian bricks, it is usually someone repointing them with a cement based mortar so that the mortar ends up harder than the brick so when things expand and contract something has to give.
--
Cheers,

John.

John Rumm <> wrote .

Err, what's the alternative to cement based mortar ?!
P.
snipped-for-privacy@technologist.com (Zymurgy) wrote in message

lime based mortar
Regards, NT
N. Thornton wrote on Friday (13/02/2004) :

Usually porous bricks. They absorb moisture which then freezes, expands thus blowing the brick face out.
--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Some patterns of bricks can easily be put in upside down. You will sometimes se a wall that looks wet in ome places and dry in others shortly after rain. I imagine that if frost gets on the badly placed ones, the frost can blow the face off.

The Lord alerted my mind to the presence of this EVIL article by Harry Bloomfield, and I thusly replied:

You know what I'm going to say now...
--
The Reverend Parson Peter Parsnip
Smiting Sinful Usenet Users Since 1874