Bricklaying newbie: frog up, top course collects water

My first bricklaying project -- a 2 course garden wall.

I have been following accepted advice and laying the bricks frog up. But it is now clear that the final course with frog up will collect water when it rains.

Coping stones are overkill for this project. Is it acceptable to reverse things and use a "frog down" course for the final layer of bricks?

Bruce

Reply to
bruce_phipps

Yes. Just look at the walls around you - you won't find any frog up bricks in view!

Reply to
Paul Andrews

Seems like putting "frog down" course on a "frog up" will take a lot of mortar...

Bruce

Reply to
bruce_phipps

Use a soldier course, or 'brick on edge' to complete the top....

Reply to
Phil

If it's only 2 courses, you don't really want the frogs facing each other - so it would be best to lay *both* courses with frogs down.

Having said that, ordinary house bricks are not particularly suitable for garden walls anyway - because they're not frost-proof. Far better to use semi-engineering bricks - or decorative re-constituted stone 'bricks' designed for garden walls - neither of which have frogs.

Reply to
Set Square

Thanks, I've decided to go for 3 courses and try the "frog reversal" method for the top course. Changing to complete "frog up" courses would involve demolishing the work I've already done.

Using a soldier or brick-on-edge course isn't really a viable option for such a small wall.

Bruce

Reply to
bruce_phipps

"Paul Andrews" wrote in news:YwiOe.364$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe1-gui.ntli.net:

Oh yes I will! A small garden wall, laid by previous owners, frog up. They did fill the frogs with mortar so at least they don't form puddles. :-)

Reply to
Rod