Bricking up a doorway with no lintel

Hi I need to brick up a doorway in a load-bearing wall. I've removed the architrave-type bits from both sides of the opening, but before I attacked the doorframe itself I thought I'd better check for a lintel; sure enough, there isn't one (it's a fairly old house so not unduly surprising IME.

I had intended removing all the timber, then keying the new brickwork into the old by chopping out half a brick eitherside on alternate courses; however I'm obviously reluctant to remove the doorframe now! But if I brick it up without taking the timber out, would the result be safe/secure/building regs compliant?

I'm wondering whether I now need to get hold of some Acro props etc and support the wall above the doorway before removing the frame... but that sounds like a lot more hassle than I'd envisaged. Any other ideas?

By the way, the filled-in doorway will be separating two self-contained dwellings, so I have to use brick/block, not plasterboard etc.

Thanks David

Reply to
Lobster

Sir

I would get the acro props, they are cheep to hire. Then support the top of the frame in then middle. Cut out the frame, leaving the bit that the acros are holding and brick up. Then when the bricks support both sides of the hole but not the middle, remove acro.

You may not need the acro at all, but better safe than sorry.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Dipper

That is a bit simpler to do if you knock a whole through the wall just above the centre of the frame, stick a strong wood or steel beam through and support the ends on two acros - one ither side. Then you can remove the frame and brick up without the acros getting in the way of the brickwork. When the bulk of the wall is built you can remove the props and fill in the couple of missing bricks.

Reply to
John Rumm

Isn't that called a 'needle'? Doesn't the direction of the Acro support depend on the direction of the ceiling joists?

Rgds Richard

Reply to
Richard Savage

You can also obtain a cantilever cap for a single prop (I think it's called a Strongboy) which can just be hammered into a joint in the masonry, then proped up on just one side of the wall, leaving you to make holes below to your hearts content.

I've found them quite handy when inserting lintels in situations where there appeared to be no means of support other than the rotten timber top of a frame that only appeared to be supported by the brickwork above!

Reply to
Paul C Lewis

I want to know just how extensive your experience of finding no lintles over doorways is. Even with studwork there should be something there just to catch the laths.

Reply to
Michael Mcneil

Strongboys make life MUCH easier but I've never been able to hammer one in without drilling several holes first.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Brooks