Brick wall

I am going to rebulid my boundary brickwall. It will be single skin construction with brick piers. My question is, should I have a damp proof course?

Reply to
Lawrence Zarb

Preferably not, as it provides a weak spot. If you do really want one use a couple of courses of engineering bricks

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Reply to
Space_Cowby

Not strictly necessaru oif good bricks and stiff mnortar used, but not abd thing

- see

The Natural Philosopher

Or slates.

It can help stop splatting in cases of soggy ground and frost.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Don't care what the web site tells you. 20 years of experience tells me a stiff mortar will make no difference at all. By good bricks you must a class a engineering brick which will resist dampness but it just travels thru the mortar joint.

Reply to
Space_Cowby

No: build a manhole with semi-engineering bricks and 1:3 mortar and the brickwork will be 100% (OK 99.5%) watertight.

Reply to
Tony Bryer