Brick shed cost

Hi all. Does anyone have any idea what what be a reasonable cost to have a brick shed built in my back garden? Say 7 foot square about the same height. TIA

Mark

Reply to
saat

That's a bit like asking how long is a piece of string.

Some questions that need straight answers:

1) What, if anything, is in the place where the shed is to be built?

2) What do you want the shed for? - does it require electricity? - what kind of floor etc?

3) What type of roof are you hoping to have?

4 ) Windows?

5) Doors?

6) Why does it have to be brick? - block is much cheaper and quicker and can be rendered and painted or pebbledashed or tyroleaned.

What is the ground like that it is to be built on? -if it's currently flowerbeds etc, these will have to be excavated and roots removed prior to concrete, if it's lawn then simply removing the turf is sufficient preparation.

Reply to
Phil L

Hi Phil, thanks for your reply.

Keep stuff in :-)

No.

Concrete slab would do.

Corregated aluminium, or such.

One.

One.

I like brick, more to the point so does the Mrs.

Yes, just turf. Thanks again.

Mark

Reply to
saat

OP may also need planning permission, as it is not a "temporary structure", and would be wise to consult with planning department. In addition, I'd say Building Control inspections may be needed.

Reply to
Ian Cornish

planning will need to be informed as a precaution more than anything else, BC won't be interested in the slightest unless someone intends living in it.

Reply to
Phil L

Minimal work to erect then....you will need:

1 skip £120 Three m3 of concrete £170 1000 bricks, and depending on the size and colour etc these can range from £700 to infinity, expect to pay around £800 to have them laid. sand/cement about £50 roof timbers about £100 window £150 door £200 (inc fittings) roof materials £100 sundries £100 Labour (without brickwork) about £1500

Grand total = £3990

I'd be surprised if you could get it built for much less than this, but it depends on the bricks you choose.

The floor could be dropped in in one big slab, but it needs to be at least

150mm thick at the edges and about 100mm thick for the actual floor, this means digging and barrowing, if you got the slab ready yourself, you could knock a large lump off this price.
Reply to
Phil L

For a 'wee' thing like that I'd build it out of wood, Shiplap onto 2" x 2" framing then you can insulate the walls.

Chris.

Reply to
mcbrien410

Me too, but the OP stipulated bricks....it would be *much* cheaper to do with blocks, not to mention quicker, and if thermalite or pummice blocks were used, it'd be warmer than bricks too.

Reply to
Phil L

I personally don't think that there is much diff between the two. Okay blocks are cheaper to buy and lay but need rendering/ decorating which offsets this initial saving. Regards Legin

Reply to
legin

Who says he wants it warm?

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

No one, but the general idea of keeping things inside a shed is to keep the weather off them, this includes frost.

HTH

Reply to
Phil L

Snip