Brick/Mortar Acid has left a white stain on my bricks

My builder has just finished Phase 1 of my conservatory (Base and Dwarf wall). As he is a bit of a perfectionist and wanted to use 'Brick Acid' to get off any odd splashes of mortar on his brickworkl.

To be honest, his brick work was immaculate and I saw no need for him to do this, but he wanted to do it, so who was I to argue. He brought round 15 litres of "Cementone Mortar and Brick Cleaner" which, according to the container is the right stuff.

We got talking about the quality of his brickwork (good) comparied to that on my 5 year old house (bad) and he advised that this "Brick Acid" was just what a needed to get rid of the splashes/smudges of morter which are all over the brickwork on the house.

As a demonstration he brushed a load of it onto the side of the house, left it to fizz for a while and rinced it off. It seemed to do a good job, so I went to work and forgot all about it.

Last night I walked round the side of the house and found this large 'white' patch on the wall (Looks like a salty deposit) over the area that he had 'cleaned'.. It seems that the 'acid' has done more than removing the excess mortar.. I tried to clean the bricks with a wet scrubbing brush and whilst they looked fine when they were wet/damp, as soon as they dryed, the white stain returned.

The surprising thing is that he used 3x5l containters of the stuff on my conservatory, which is build with the same bricks as the house and they still look perfect.

There must be something about the bricks on the house or the method of application which used on the house. Is this reversable? Is there anything I can do to clean them up (i.e Jet washer, Scrubbing brush etc).

I can't tell wether the 'white' is actually a residue (in which case it might be possible to clean it off), or a 'burn' of some kind (in which case its probably not)

Does anyone have any experience with this kind of substance?

Reply to
Jon Weaver

Time and rain will wash it away. He has just dsturbed the chemistry of the bricks and mortar..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The only problem is that the part of the house which is 'stained', isn't exposed to rain or any of the elements.. Its right behind my fence/gate so is shielded.

Is there anything I can do to accelerate the process?

Reply to
Jon Weaver

Water hose? Sounds like it's out sight anyway?

Reply to
Terry

Does it take off the old bits of cement? Or does this have to be brushed off using lots of elbow grease?

Reply to
IMM

finished Phase 1 of my conservatory (Base and

"Out Of Sight" to the public perhaps, but its right next to my back door, so I see it every day..

Today I put a bit of detergent on a scrubbing brush and gave it a good scrub, but as soon as I dried, it was the same as ever.

I think that I will have to give the manufacturer a ring and see if they have any ideas!

Reply to
Jon Weaver

Hose it down.

Or just pee on it.