brick bolts

Has anyone used these? Most impressed with the simplicity of them, they are simply a bolt with a wide thread, you drill the hole through the timber and into the masonry and then knock it in and tighten with a spanner or socket, you can hear the timber splintering and crunching as it tightens, ideal for anything you would normally use a rawlbolt, for or things like gateposts where screws tend to fail due to the plug disintegrating. The main advantage over rawlbolts is that they are only one piece, with RB's they tend not to tighten and you can't get them back out once the steel sleeving has expanded behind the timber

Reply to
Phil L

I've used these

happy with them, with the caveat that the masonry drilling must be exactly right and not accidently enlarged in any way.

Reply to
dom

They are the ones, although I wouldn't buy them from Screwfix...they are available single at a local hardware store for about 40p...WRT drilling, it's easier to drill straight through wood and brick with the same bit, this stops 'shake' or misalignement of holes

Reply to
Phil L

Yeah, pricey but worth it in time saved, I havn't found anywhere cheaper than Screwfix, I see Machine Mart had them at similar prices when I was in for the sale. Not just for brick, either. They are fine into various grades of concrete block (wouldn't hold that well in lightweight) and into limestone.Also you can put them pretty close to the edge of brick or block.

Reply to
Newshound

I used hundreds of these things on a building project. Suitably impressive, and I would use them again but at present all my building projects involve either rubble walls or terracotta anti-seismic blocks.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Do you mean like these?

've never used them but often wondered if they were as good as they seem.

Any experience appreciated.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Yes, that's how I installed all the window frames (using 6*140 t-star countersunk) and a doorframe for some very heavy doors (10*140 hex head). I'm about to fit a lot of steel joist hangars with 4 of 10*140 per hangar - a wooden drilling guide will help with consistant positioning - good thinking that man.Whacking the 10mm ones in with a cordless impact driver with a socket on the front works well (cordless drill can easily handle 6mm). Dead useful cheap accessory:

hardware store did you see them in?

Reply to
dom

It's just a local HW store, he doesn't have a website

Reply to
Phil L

They are good, also cheap, quicker, easier and stronger than other fixings...they may be a bit OTT for door/window frames etc, but I believe there's also self tapping screws long the same lines, the end of the thread is made of something which cuts a thread into the actual brick/stone

Reply to
Phil L

I once fixed the top timber of a lean-to shed to a concrete block wall with similar fixings. Very easy to fix and apparently very very strong.

I was under the impression I had got them from Wickes, in fact I remember the packet and it mentioning how they were suitable for use close to the edge of the material to be fixed to. Can't find them on their web site though, so perhaps they don't do them, strange if they if so because they were very good.

HLAH

I cant see the advantage of these in comparison to a typical hammerfix fixing. In fact the hammerfix would be cheaper,quicker to use, removable and just as secure.

dg

Reply to
dg