Brick BBQs

Just musing really (plenty of jobs to do before this!).

It has been suggested that it would be good to build a barbecue outside the kitchen window, where there's a little half-alcove just to one side. Certainly this would tidy up a bit of scruffiness and could be good to have (assuming the taste of burnt / half-cooked meat is your thing).

I got to thinking, however, that there may be some good reasons why it wouldn't be a good thing to have against a wall of the house, but can't quite rationalise why (!). I suppose all the ones I've seen are at least a few feet away from the house, which might be for good reasons.

Assuming there was a brick back to it (preventing the house wall from getting too hot) and a reasonable way of diverting cooking smoke etc away from the wall, am I missing something or is my gut feeling just wrong and it would be OK to do?

Reply to
GMM

Reasons why not:

Bridging the damproof course Fumes & smoke entering the kitchen via the window/air brick/cooker hood etc. Increased fire risk (do you have a timer framed house and/or cavity insulation?)

Others will no doubt advise on which Building Regs you might infringe.

Regards JonH

Reply to
JonH

You should build a free standing BBQ with a gap between it and the house of a couple of inches. Put chickenwire around the edges of the gap so it doesn't fill with leaves. If the BBQ is near a window the latter will get greasy.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright