Brick and Blockwork pricing

I have started a single storey extension on my hoome in the Bristol area. I am trying to find a brick layer to do the brick and block work for me (It would take me a very long time).The outer skin is brick the inner light weight block. Total areas: 55 sq m of block 40 sq m of brick (less two 1.2m square windows and 1.8m french doors). I am supplying all materials. The only quote I have had is for =A34200 (this seems very high to me). Can anyone advise on a figure to budget for this work - labour only.

Reply to
Steve

I recently did the brick and block work for a single storey lounge/kitchen extension - 5.5m wide by 4m out from the house, monopitched gables to sides, with a 1.8 patio and kitchen window, and 5 course engineers below DPC and charged =A31500 cash. This is in the midlands, and the owner did the labouring.

I thought it may be a bit too much, but later found it was much cheaper than any other quote. Doh!

dg

Reply to
dg

Oh, and I will be down your way for the balloon fiesta this weekend - but no trowel sorry ;-)

dg

Reply to
dg

How many days work was estimated in the quote?

I try to get this sort of info out of them casually and then work out the rough day rate I would think the job commanded and use this as a cross check. Allow for some lost rained off days (they will).

In this case probably for the bicky and a labourer, whats that £250 a day (probably where I live) ... is it over 16 days work?

Just a thought...

Alex.

Reply to
AlexW

There was to be two weeks of work there; could easily be four weeks. A grand a week for a bricklayer and his mate is not /very/ high.

Reply to
Nick Finnigan

That is not the way to look at it.

You accept a price for the work, and then if the bricklayer wants to start late and finish early, and have as many breaks as he likes it is up to him. Conversely if he wants to start early and work non-stop till late and finish 5 days earlier than expected, that too is up to him, and his final daily rate is irrelevent.

The only time a dayrate is relevent is if the price is based on daywork.

I get really annoyed when customers begrudgingly hand over the agreed price after I have worked really long days and finished a few days earlier than expected. They seem to expect a discount for hard work!

dg

Reply to
dg

dg...

Its the way to look at it before the fact to check you are not being taken for a ride. From your previous post, I don't think you would lose a job on this viewpoint!

Once you have agreed a fixed price ... that's it, you pay it, the work gets done, properly, in the time/frame/ specified (within reason) or sooner, which is great.

If you agree a day rate then its a different matter. The basis of the OP was a quote not a day rate.

Read my post, I am talking about working out if a /quote/ is a rip off or not, not trying to haggle after the fact. I never do that, ever.

Alex.

Reply to
AlexW

That would take me, a total ameter 10-15 days work , so 4200 does seem a lot.

Rick

Reply to
Rick

Have now had a second quote =A32150 - that is more like it.

I looked at some rates for this type of work:-

Brick =A335 - =A342 per sq m Block =A312 - =A315 per sq m

Therefore job should be =A32060 - =A32505

I estimated 7 to 10 days work for a competent bricky with labourer.

Thanks for all the replies.

Reply to
Steve