Breeze blocks

I'm in the process of planning a small lean-to extension(utility room), about 8ft by 5ft and was wondering. Can the lighter 6kg airated breeze blocks be used for:

  1. foundations
  2. internal cavity wall (later to be plastered)
  3. external cavity wall (later to rendered).

TIA

Jon

Reply to
Jon W

Usually, but check the specific product for suitability. Celcon Foundation or similar is recommended for this application, but many standard blocks should also suffice. However, a wide block like the Celcon Foundation seriously reduces the amount of labour required, as you can lay the entire thickness of foundation in a single course and only split into cavities above the DPC level.

Yes.

Yes.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I always thought you had to use engineering bricks in foundations (I'm not disputing what you say, just never heard of Celcon Foundation!)

David

Reply to
Lobster

Nah. Most concrete blocks (including aerated) can be used in most soils, at least according to the manufacturers. But you should check the particular combination of soil and block.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

P.S. For further recommendations, use Celcon Standard in the outer leaf and Celcon Solar in the inner leaf. However, you'll probably just end up at the builder's merchants where they haven't heard of anything except bog standard

3.5N 440x215x100 and just have to work these into your original plan for foundation, inner and outer...

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Yes, I thought the reply was - a bit misleading, like saying 'you can use brick for a fioundation' without saying 'but most people pouitr concrete and use really exepensive ones up to the DPC, for good reasons.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Strange, as the thermal blocks used for internal walls will expand when they get wet and contract again when they dry out, which sounds like it would be really bad news in foundations below the damp proof course. (You have to be careful plastering them for this reason.)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

That's why you use special underground non thermal concrete blocks.

I have to say that I did not consider celcon thermal blocks to BE concrete actually.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Clearly, the manufacturer disagress, though!

Christian McArdle

Cheers, Chriatian

cost a bit more, but yes, they look like they'll make the the job a lot quicker/easier .

Jon

Reply to
Jon W