Breakfast bar above radiator

Braekafast bars typically project out into space, usually starting from some cabinets so I'm not even sure if what I plan is called a breakfast bar. Anyway I'm talking about the long edge of the work top butting to the wall and the outer edge supported by legs, so when you sit at it you are facing the wall. Only thing is that the radiator is on that wall and it is the only spare wall in the kitchen. Do you think this will have a significant effect on the circulation of the warm air from the radiator & do you think it would be uncomfortable on the legs (i.e. too warm) under the bar when in use?

The other problem is it would need to be granite to match the rest of the kitchen & I'm not so sure about supporting/fixing it on the partition wall & legs. Any input much appreciated.

Reply to
AA

Why not make a wooden frame to support the worktop with legs also against the wall?

Could you not cut out the worktop above the radiator and fit a grill/

Another option would be to fix a kickspace heater under one of the cabinets instead of having a radiator

I did this in my kitchen years ago The heater has its own thermostat and fan speed control and runs off the central heating excellent piece of kit

Tony

Reply to
TMC

On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 06:45:28 -0700 someone who may be AA wrote this:-

It will improve comfort as the hot air is moved away from the wall, rather like a big radiator shelf and will warm the room more.

That depends on the person and how wide the bar is. Persons of the female persuasion will generally love it. Persons of the male persuasion will generally feel a little too warm.

Reply to
David Hansen

no concerns about the ability of the radiator to heat the kitchen.

However, I intend to replace the counter / breakfast bar with a set of full height cupboards that I will mount on a plinth with a kickspace heater (Myson) underneath

Reply to
John