Braun electric shaver cleaning fluid

Any idea whether it's possible to make your own fluid for the "Clean and Renew" system of a Braun 390cc shaver?

The official stuff is quite expensive - in fact I've just been cleaning the razor with the supplied brush - which seems OK.

Would ordinary meths do? Or what?

Reply to
Chris

I tried googling for a MSDS for the Braun cleaning fluid, and couldn't find one, but this page suggests it's basically denatured alcohol with a bit of citrus oil or citrus perfume

Owain

Hot soapy water will do. Just remember to dry it off for a while.

Reply to
Clive

In article , Clive writes

Do you take off the foil; then use the soapy water with the brush; then let it all dry; then replace the foil?

Reply to
Chris

Thanks. In UK is denatured alcohol the same as methylated spirits?

Reply to
Chris

Alcohol without the nature of being drinkable... Which is indeed meths, (usually ethanol + methanol) however meths we buy here will most likely have a purple dye in it - whether this is an issue or not when cleaning a shaver is up to someone else to find out ... I don't electric shave. (Nasty horrible noisy things!)

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

Methylated spirits is one denatured alcohol. Surgical spirit is another. Each has methanol added in various proportions in an attempt to render the alcohol undrinkable. It can then be sold free of alcohol duty. Both have other additives, in the case of methylated spirit pyridine and petroleum spirit are added and some formulations include an emetic. Surgical spirit has a lower proporation of methanol but has castor oil and methyl salicylate added. Methyl salicylate gives surgical spirit its characteristic smell.

Both meths and surgical spirit are poor choices for cleaning because both tend to leave a residue on the object being cleaned. Isopropanol can be bought without additives and it's an excellent cleaning solvent. Where "meths" is required for cleaning in laboratories the solvent used is "60/40 IMS" that's industrial methylated spirit which only containes methanol and ethanol with a small proportion of water.

Reply to
Steve Firth

IMO for this use you would probably be better off using surgical spirit or isopropanol.

Reply to
Steve Firth