Brass rod supplier ?

Hi All

I'm looking for some 6" lengths of brass rod - to do with a stained glass lamp. The rod needs to be .125" or 3.20mm diameter. Initially I'm only after about 9ft in total - so stockholders may not be interested in such a small order ?

If the rod was unobtainable, then a brass tube with the same internal diameter would do the trick...

Any ideas for (probably) online sources (as we're out in the Wild West of Ireland) - is this the kind of thing that modelmakers would use. perhaps ?

Alternatively, is it one of those things that's available for a particular use - as in - "Ah yes Sir - you want some No3 Scrunging Rod

- I have a box-full just here"

Any suggestions please ?

Thanks Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

Brass brazing rods, from welding/brazing suppliers.

Reply to
Tony Williams

================================== Chronos -

Cicero

Smiths Metal Centres. Is where we buy all our non-ferrous rod, sheet and tube.

Mary Fisher

Aha - thanks for the suggestion. My local stained glass supplier has sent me some brazing rod - but it's only about 1.7mm diameter. Presumably it's available in different sizes, then ?

Thanks Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

Thanks for the suggestion. Do you get stuff 'mail order' from them? - I had a quick look and they seemed to want to sell me 10ft lengths - but perhaps I was looking in the wrong place...

Regards Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

Thanks for the link - looks like they would be happy to send to Ireland. An interesting site..... kind of place you could spend hours 'window shopping'

As it happens - I'd found a fellow on eBay who has arranged to ship me some rod for about the same price as Chronos - but they're handy to know about also.

Many thanks Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

Sometimes a bin of this in B&Q. It contains all types of metal and shapes from tube to solid square and box section in the sizes you seem to need. As usual it has the B&Q silly price.

Reply to
EricP

Try screwfix - Thay do a brass electrical earthing rod that will suffice.

Reply to
Ray

Yes, we had a delivery this week.

10' isn't much longer than 9' ...

I don't KOW that you'll get what you want but it's a better source than welding rod. If they won't do a small quantity they might be able to tell you where you can - one of their customers perhaps. we've always found them very accommodating.

You could also try a model-making shop, I've just looked at your original post and realise that I thought you wanted a bigger diameter, sorry.

When all else fails, read the instructions.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

The 10ft isn't a big deal - it's just a bit difficult cramming it onto a jiffy bag so's it can get posted across to Ireland !

As I said elsewhere - now got nine-off 12" lengths coming courtesy of eBay - with the option of the other supplier mentioned as an alternative...

Also the possibility of locating a welding supplies place locally - but that could likely take all day.... and I've got other things to be doing today..

Many thanks Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

True about the price. Then there's the hassle of finding a B&Q - Kingfisher's website claims that they have stores over here in Ireland - but doesn't tell you where....

Regards Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

Hi Ray

Thanks for the reply - but we're in Ireland and Screwfix don't think it's important enough to deliver to this fair country !

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

Ok that bin of stuff can sometimes be found in decent model shops. I would try yellow pages for your local one and ring them. Might be worth a couple of calls, although model shops do seem to be becoming extinct lately. :((

Reply to
EricP

It comes taped to a long length of timber. Jolly useful stuff - if we could think of a use for it!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

There's always a use for a long length of timber - if only to store on the joinst in the roof of the garage until you leave it behind when you move house

If it's despatched 'nailed to trees' then that'd make it even more difficult for our Irish postman.....

Maybe the modelmaker market is the right place to be - they tend to like things in 'manageable' lengths, it seems

Regards Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

Not sure they ever caught on out here.... probably something in Cork city - but that's over an hour's drive away, and parking is horrendous (if you're used to life out in the backwoods, like us )

I'll see how efficient the eBay supplier is - don;t mind paying a few quid for postage if it saves me a half-day journey into Cork - and I can be doing something productive with that half-day...

Thanks for the suggestions

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

It's unlikely that we'll ever move house but it would be a (i.e. several) nice thing/s to find when we pop off.

Spouse collects - but there's a depot in our city!

Spouse always bought from his favourite model shop - it was an excuse to go there and mooch - and sometimes come home with a new engine. But even he eventually realised that for the amounts we use it was worth denying himself that indulgence and buy from stockholders.

He still manages to find a very good reason for taking a trip out though, usually because I want him to post something or go to the bank - not in the same direction needless to say. Last week he came back with a very good flight simulator. Must be good if he approves!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

My local model railway shop stock both in a wide variety of sizes.

Or

stock 3/32, 1/8, 5/32 etc. Search for K&S metal.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman