Brand new TV show celebrating the best in disaster-prone DIY!

Last time this sort of posting appeared I mentioned I'd seen such a program me some years ago, a couple of professionals who went around pointing out a ll the nonsense in typical DIY attempts. I can't remember what it was calle d, and it was probably cancelled quickly for being too sensible.

JGH

Reply to
jgh

They already have. Didn't you see it?

(Laughing all the way to the bank)

Reply to
harryagain

The working ones learn English, usually pretty quickly and pretty well.

A diet programme aimed at council estate residents might be entertaining. The prize could be some trousers that don't have an elasticated waistband and "adidike" down the legs.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

I think this flat was formerly owned by Paul's brother the sparky.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

The TV schedules are flooded with crappy 'reality' TV, 'talent' shows, soaps and other shit. To the OP: make something useful like a real science programme that doesn't patronise the viewer, doesn't mainly consist of a presenter standing on the top of a mountain filmed by a circling helicopter, and actually includes some real science.

Or a 'how to do it properly' DIY programme as others have suggested.

Reply to
Mark

Might be more fun a couple of decent DIYers going round pointing out where 'pros' have cut corners and done some of their typical tricks to either save money or make sure they get more work out of the job at a later date?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If those progs were shown today, Bucknall would be pilloried for the bodger he was.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Hear, hear. I actually turned "Horizon" off last night. So dumbed down as to be intolerable.

Reply to
Huge

In article , harryagain scribeth thus

No do tell...

With our money;(...

Reply to
tony sayer

On Thursday 27 June 2013 10:23 Dave Plowman (News) wrote in uk.d-i-y:

I'm liking that!

Reply to
Tim Watts

On Thursday 27 June 2013 10:28 Dave Plowman (News) wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Tommy Walsh is not bad - at least when he did the shed build there were some interesting things regarding the framing and roof. I'd like a tiny bit more detail - perhaps a 5-10 minute section on how to do one "difficult" thing (eg plaster, neat quick painting, bit of plumbing (solder, compression, push fit, plus a few common fixes like new taps, tap washer, ballcocks).

Shouldn't be hard to mesh that with the main "story" of the episode.

Reply to
Tim Watts

The OP isn't capable of it. Even promoted tv diy experts like Mr Walsh are generally not that good at it. Diy on tv is seldom good. Norm Abram knows h is stuff, but builds pointless junk in melamine and tends to be boring.

To the tv channels: Instead of taking on naive students with very little sk ill, look for genuine diy experts already out there, such as retirees. Fred Dibnah should have taught you that old geezers can be interesting, informa tive, expert and captivating, even to a relatively young audience.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

New Horizon format.

State a fact. Play loud music. Show irrelevant image. State same fact. Play very loud music

Repeat until anyone with an IQ larger than shoe size has thrown remote at TV.

I had hopes for the programmes about continents. Watching them one after another on the media player *really* shows up the poverty of the content.

They could have done all three shows in one half hour programme.

Reply to
Steve Firth

The worst was a recent series on geology (can't remember the programme title). All the 'useful' bits (graphs etc) were shown in short bursts of about 1 second each and the programme maker had deliberately added noise/interference/special effects to make them even harder to see.

Reply to
Mark

Don't they love cameras attached to the exteriors of cars so you get wonderful views of rotating wheels and a bit of scenery if you are lucky. Really helps to explain the topic fully.

Reply to
polygonum

I might actually watch a show like that.

Reply to
S Viemeister

they are there either..

because the "star" wanted to test drive the car

or

they are cheap cuts from a library and cost next to nothing to fill in the gap between ads.

Reply to
dennis

or

They just like to stick on a GoPro simply because they can.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Which course will the horse be in. Yes as in meals 1st course, 2nd course ..... or courses such as antree or ascot...or findus lasagne

Reply to
whisky-dave

Oh no, not another media bubble-head who thinks they've got an 'original' idea. Look dearie, that was old in the 60s.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon