Braided Flexible Hoses used in Plumbing Systems

Just a word of warning for all you DIYers. Most of the Stainless Braided Flexible Hoses obtainable today, and certainly the imported Chinese ones, have been found to harbour bio-films and thus legionella by the Water Advisory Regulation Service. The WRAS Approved ones have been tested and do not support legionella. I must put my hands up and admit I sell WRAS Approved hoses but I do not want anyone to get Legionnaires Disease thro ignorance.

A hospital in the West Midlands and Student Accommodation in East Anglia have had all the non WRAS approved Flexible Hoses removed due to health risk.

Reply to
Merryterry

This sounds absolute nonsense to me. If it's not can you supply proper references for what you are saying please.

Reply to
usenet

The Dirty Ba*tards!

There's already a full complement of commercially inspired Yea and Nay Sayers on this Newsgroup and they're a bit more subtle than you matey. That wouldn't be difficult though, would it?

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

One could say the same thing about shower pipes. But the fact that you sell "approved" hoses makes me think you may be biased.

I'm willing to bet that I'm the only person in this newsgroup who has suffered from Legionella bacteria - really, I have!

Reply to
Nigel Molesworth

What was the source as a matter of interest?

Reply to
Andy Hall

Spa holiday in Malta. Didn't get "full blown" Legionnaires' Disease, that is when the bacterial infection gives you pneumonia. But I was very ill for about a month until they found out the cause. The annoying thing is that it was the first thing that I thought of!

It was over a year ago, but I'm still not feeling 100%. Of course I couldn't prove where I got it from, so no compensation.

The strangest thing was people's reaction. They'd say "Hi how are you?" Then take a step backwards when I replied ;-)

Reply to
Nigel Molesworth

These are the first paragraphs of statement shortly to be announced by WRAS:

USE OF EDPM (STAINLESS STEEL BRAIDED) FLEXIBLE HOSES (Materials in contact with water intended for drinking and other domestic purposes)

FLEXIBLE HOSES Non-WRAS approved extruded EPDM flexible hoses, (Stainless Steel Braided), are completely unsuited for use with wholesome water because they can support extensive microbial growth, impart a very strong unpleasant taste and odour or release toxic substances to the drinking water. The Water Regulations Advisory Scheme is aware that concerns have been raised by hose and tap manufacturers, health authorities, scientists and plumbing installers regarding the effects of the materials used for some flexible hoses, on the quality of water intended for drinking or other domestic purposes. The concerns include the possibility that these materials may encourage the growth of bacteria, which can be harmful to health, especially the Legionella bacterium that causes Legionnaires disease. Legionnaires Disease is an opportunistic infection of the lung caused primarily by inhaling Legionella bacteria contained in fine water droplets or aerosols. It can be fatal, particularly by hospitalised patients who are aged or immuno-compromised. Most reported cases of Legionnaires disease are associated in large buildings where temperature and flow patterns allow the bacteria to multiply. These conditions may be found in under used taps and showers.

Now do you believe me?

Your reference to the fact I sell approved hoses is correct. I admitted that. But I didnt tell you what brand did I?

Reply to
Merryterry

Yes, I am biased, in the same sense that a Corgi Registered Plumber suggests to you that a non Corgi plumber can harm your well being. Result: you disregard his warning because you think he is biased. Your family gets blown up or gets CO2 poisoning.

Reply to
Merryterry

I had kind of the opposite happen. I contracted a bacterial infection which led to pneumonia. The hospital asked where I had recently been. As it happened, I had been staying in a hotel where the window of the room looked out over a roof where there was air conditioning plant. They put two and two together and made 3. It turned out not to be legionella. Nevertheless, I was in hospital for a week with the pneumonia and remainder of the original bacterial infection. It was debilitating, as you say - took over a month before I could do much at all, a further three months to being reasonable but best part of 9 to be back to normal.

Reply to
Andy Hall
< snip >

what's your point, caller ? leigonella can and does survive in limescale which is endemic in british water systems, even after the usual dosing, descale, dosing system of pipe cleansing.

Reply to
.

carbon dioxide poisoning ? nah, di-hydrogen monoxide is the real threat.

Reply to
.

It doesnt make much difference if you are dead!

Reply to
Merryterry

Unless one is a significantly more efficient preservative than the other.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

hahahahhaha. whoosh monday arrives a day early.

Reply to
.

This is the key. I'm somewhat disinclined to believe this.

Hoses on mains cold are carrying chlorinated potable cold water. In all other cases the water is not exposed to the atmosphere or is cold (storage cistern) where it does so. The risks must be vanishly small, i.e. Other risks are far more significant, e.g. using the stairs or driving a vehicle.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

I'd rather have my boiler serviced by someone who knows their CO from their CO2

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I suggest you read up about Legionella and its ability to grow in biofilms. A Google search on legionella will show this Many unapproved hoses have been tested and found to have rough internal EDPM surfaces that have pores in them that hold biofilms. The chlorine in the water cannot reach into these pores. Even the correct disinfection proceedures cannot reach them. Also have you never heard of dead legs in pipwork or underused pipe runs? With respect, your supposition that going upstairs or driving a car pauses a greater risk of Legionnares Disease would be laughable if you were not a professional. Please treat this seriously in the interests of your clients. Also, as you are a registered gas fitter, may I presume you may also an approved plumber? Were you aware that you could lose your approved status by fitting non-approved fittings?

Reply to
Merryterry

You seem to be moving from BS to threat now. Are we going to get the full coercive range on this one?

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

I'd settle for arse and elbow.

Reply to
Nigel Molesworth

Accidents with Stairs over 600 /year Fatal Accidents with vehicles over 2000 /year Case of Legionella in the UK from sources in the UK a few dozen per decade, usually as a one off outbreak invariably from a recirculating source of warm water exposed to the atmosphere.

I tend not to use flexibles if I do then they are likely to be from a major supplier (eg. BES).

Reply to
Ed Sirett