bracing wall query

I am planning to remove an internal wall which is made of concrete blocks. I've checked its not a supporting wall by lifting the floor boards, and its been built between and parallel to the joists. However, from reading previous responses to removing internal walls there is the occasional mention of non load bearing walls providing support/bracing to adjoining walls.

This wall equally divides the ground floor back of the house in two and my main concern is that the wall it is buttressed against (at right angles) is an internal supporting (brick) wall. This wall rises three stories and once the non load bearing wall is removed this supporting wall would be, on the ground floor, 8 metres long and 11 foot high but without any buttressing.

Its also slightly complicated by the fact that the wall I want to remove is not an original wall, it was built in the 1980s and the house dates from 1895. This wall replaced two walls that divided the space into similar sized rooms. However, following removing wall paper it appears that at least one of the original walls was either stud or lath and plaster as there are old screw holes running from floor to ceiling.

Are there any simple checks to discover whether the wall is a bracing wall or is getting it checked out by a structural engineer/surveyor the only way to be sure.

Any advice/comments gratefully received.

Reply to
robmiz89

Personally, I'd go for the structural engineer.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

It is doubtfull that internal walls povided and significant bracing to a trypical domestic structure. The typical low-rise form would get its support inherently from the external walls and floor and roof bracing.

If the external wall is not showing any current signs of distress, then there is no reason to suspect that it will start moving when this wall is removed.

dg

Reply to
dg

Thanks for the reply.

I am not concerned about the external wall as this is over 50 cm thick, but its the internal supporting wall that I'm concerned about which is only a brick thick and once the wall is removed it will have no bracing on the ground floor for its entire length (8m). Although as you say the

1st floor joists must provide some lateral support to it.

However, I've since discovered the original architect's plans and builder's quotes/invoices for the work that was carried out in 1980 when the wall I wish to knock down was built. I am no expert on architect's plans but there is no mention of the walls that were removed, or the replacement wall which I wish to knock down, being structural. Also the quotes that the builder provided for the work simply refer to "partition wall". Therefore, it may be safe to assume that the wall is simpy a partition wall and is not supporting any of the structure.

However, why didnt they build the wall as a stud partition as surely thats easy and cheaper than building a concrete block wall?

Reply to
geoffr

Aerated concrete block walls are also very easy to build. Also, many people prefer them, as they sound more solid when knocked.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle