Boxing-in and soundproofing (-ish) a macerator

My Saniflo macerator works fine and quickly but (a) it is ugly and (b) quite noisy. Boxing it in (in an easily dismantle-able way for servicing) would help both those things. For extra sound protection I could sit it on a piece of old carpet (currently it's on lino). I was also thinking of stuffing some material between the macerator and the walls of the box (which would be big enough to allow this), but I would have to worry about the macerator overheating. Any suggestions on what material, or any other thing I could do?

Reply to
JMC

Overheating? The motor in ours is, um, "water" cooled. Wouldn't have thought it was something you'd have to worry about.;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

Well ours feels quite warm over the motor after the 7.00 am rush - the "water" doesn`t actually flow through the motor and cool it.

That said they are designed to cope with a connection to a bath or shower (a recipe for jamming it with hair IMHO) which involve a fair bit more pumping and consequent heating, than the average flush.

Tried getting in touch with the manufacturers?

Reply to
Chibblegrips

Wickes do some nice-looking fairly cheap bathroom furnature units which the macerator will sit in with enough room for sound deadening foam surrounding it without actually touching.

Reply to
G&M

Chibblegrips... sounds like a good brand name for a macerator! David

Reply to
Lobster

replying to Tim Downie, Annette wrote: Inside the box you could use sound insulating lining paper which absorbs sound and latex wallpaper on the outside which blocks sound. These papers are 5mm thick. You could also use this paper to decorate the wall between the bathroom and bedroom. See the Go Wallpaper or Wallpaper Direct websites.

Reply to
Annette

replying to Annette, Bob wrote: I think the macerator has probably worn out in the thirteen years since the question was asked.

Reply to
Bob

I had a quick look but can't see how those could work. 5mm latex that's soft enough to roll up is not going to have significant stiffness.

I'd choose a more sensible portal to this newsgroup myself.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

macerator-88438-.htm

Annette's reply is to a 13 year old post, anyway.

Reply to
Bob Eager

hence my reply.

Reply to
tabbypurr

Yes I was intrigued to note that at the moment these devices seem to be being plugged on commercial radio in the UK. Ideal for outbuildings without the correct sewers etc, no mention is made about the noise though. could be a bit annoying in the middle of the night! Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

alan_m