Box fans

I want a box fan. The kind that stands on a window cill and moves air in or out of the window. This kind of thing;

is the *only* one I've been able to find after about an hour on Google, other than useless 12" ones, and it's unavailable/out of stock.

These things are commonplace in the USA. Does no-one sell them here?

Reply to
Huge

> This is the *only* one I've been able to find after about an hour on > Google,

Baz

>>> This is the *only* one I've been able to find after about an hour on >> Google,

Not a box fan.

Not a box fan.

A move in the right direction, but not what I would call a box fan. Did you actually look at the example I posted? And did the word "useless" in front of '12"' in my original posting not mean anything?

Thanks anyway.

Reply to
Huge

Nope. Not a box fan.

The axial plate fans aren't far off, you just need to build your own simple box...

Reply to
Colin Wilson

> Nope. Not a box fan.

Coo. That's not a bad idea. Then I could make it fit into the relevant window frame. Thanks!

Reply to
Huge

A good idea here is to get appropriate rubber mounts for the fan and then to put fairly chunky draught excluder foam strips along the edges of the fan.

Otherwise you will have made a nice 50Hz siren which will piss you off.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Would it differ much in effect from e.g.

on a window sill. (if 18" is enough for you -- ooooh, missus!)

Reply to
Toom Tabard

Would it differ much in effect from e.g.

on a window sill. (if 18" is enough for you -- ooooh, missus!)

I presume you really want one of these:

(so we are clear)

Reply to
John

I think so. I'm already using something like that, and it's better than nothing, but on really still nights it just stirs the air rather than "pumping" any into the room.

Reply to
Huge

In message , Huge writes

Not sure what your application is but I've been working with something that looks suspiciously like that fan, and it's bloody noisy.

Reply to
bof

I think you'd have difficulty finding an appropriate 1.2v 50A 60Hz power supply ...

"Uses a maximum of 47 amps/61 watts on high setting" ;-))

Derek

Reply to
Derek Geldard

The Medway Handyman

I have not been to college for a while so unless ohms law has been radically changed by some weird effect of quantum physics, 47A does not equal 61W unless its running on 1.2v, I suspect its 0.47A

Reply to
Kevin

Someone has done some bad maths - would of course be 120 volts (USA).

Reply to
John

Sorry, came up in Google with £ prices so I naturally assumed it was a UK site.

Bloody shopping sites, PITA clogging up Google with stupid results.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

a filter - gets rid of mjority of them.

Geo

Reply to
Geo

Hmmm. The prices in the small print are in US$.

Reply to
Huge

Couldn't agree more. I never ever look at them. Using the "-waffle" switch in Google helps.

Reply to
Huge

TLC 18" floor-level free-standers for half price at the moment (=A331 + VAT). Work out the rest yourself, but this is a cheap starter for a decent fan.

Andy Dingley

Fang Kew.

Reply to
Huge