Bowsaw

Good point. The hawthorn has multiple trunks now - rigging the frame round a trunk would be a pain.

We make a lot of use of these:

can't praise them highly enough. Extremely well made. They cut on the pull stroke and have a double row of teeth that are as sharp as razors. They cut through green wood faster than a bowsaw and can be used to cut close up to the trunk.

Look good. Would they manage 3" trunks?

Reply to
PeterC

Easily. The blade is 24cm and they go through a 3-4 inch trunk like a knife through hot butter. The only potential problem is sap making the blade sticky and causing drag. You can prevent that by oiling the blade before use and also by washing it in water from time to time.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Are you completely insane? How did you type that post without fingers?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

That does not really sound like the best choice of tool IMHO....! Of the powered options, a chainsaw or reciprocating saw seem most useful.

Reply to
John Rumm

Right, many thanks to all, I'll get one of these and leave the bowsaw until I need one - if I do.

Reply to
PeterC

If you get one, remember that the blade is high carbon steel and doesn't tolerate a lot of bending. Always pull and push in a straight line. With practice you'll find out how much you can bend one of these blades before they break. Doing so involves breaking a few blades, unfortunately.

When you have finished with it, clean the blade with water. Dry it throughly and then oil it. When you store it wrap the blade in oiled newspaper. Tie the nespaper to the blade with string and then hang it up in your shed or garage or wherever you store tools.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I've got a cordless thats so lower powered that kickback is easily held. It opens up new uses like plunge cutting and tree felling.

NT

Reply to
NT

held. It opens up new uses like plunge cutting and tree felling.

You could sort out your piles with that if you were careful.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Operations for those are getting expensive due to soaring costs.

Reply to
PeterC

Thanks Steve, hadn't realised that (used to modern bendy tools). I learned many fortnights ago that it's easier to let the tool do the work and guide on the easiest path, but still break a blade occasionally due to assuming that it's hardpoint.

I might use WD40 on it.

Reply to
PeterC

PeterC expressed precisely :

I have had my bow saw for twenty odd years, it has helped in the felling of several trees and lots of branches in that time. It has never needed a new blade.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Hardly use mine, as the frame gets in the way too much. So mostly I use a folding pull saw.

My own is a Japanese Arse brand (yes, that's why I bought it!) and is lovely. However Tesco have recently been selling some very good ones for under a fiver - the trick is that the blade is taper-ground, unlike most of the cheapies, so doesn't bind in wet timber.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Because if it's like my one in Chepstow, it's green wellies for the Rangie and horsebox set, and I can't even afford their catfood.

Admittedly Abergavenny's is a bit more sensible and sells foot-rot cures for sheep.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I inherited (wouldn't have bought it full price!) a B&D Alligator scissor-action chainsaw.

Up to its limits of needing a cable and only cutting 4" diameter, this thing is brilliant (albeit ultimately pointless). Easy to use, much easier / safer / lighter than another chainsaw, even electric, and even quicker than the usual chainsaw as the jaws make it possible to saw a branch overhead or unsupported.

For most stuff I'd prefer a hand saw (lightness) and 4" is quick enough to hand saw anyway. If you don't fancy the effort, or your lengthing felled branches, then it has its virtues.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Damn! I was in Tescrot this p.m.

Reply to
PeterC

The other one I have found quite handy is a small pruning chain saw on the end of a petrol trimmer, with an extension bar you can trim fairly high stuff safely from the ground. There is also little danger of kickback type accidents since the pole puts the dangerous bit well out of reach. (just make sure you don't drop a branch on yourself!)

Reply to
John Rumm

Not enough to warrant a powered tool and I prefer not to use them in the garden anyway (mowing about 250m^2 is useful exercise). I'll pop back to T's.

Reply to
PeterC

Buy a Bahco (used to be called Sandvik) bow saw from your local garden centre DIY shed or tool shop.

Reply to
Dave Osborne