Bow saw blade length

I've got an old bow saw which I use for tree pruning which must be 30 years old and still on the original rusty old blade. It actually cuts pretty well on smaller branches but it's a bit of a pain on anything over 6 inches diameter and it pulls to one side so hard you end up going from vertical to horizontal and extending the cut length by a factor of three.

It's got two adjustment / locating holes at each end. Total overal length of the whole metal piece is just under 24 inches but from hole to hole it's between 1 and 2 inches shorter depending on which holes you pick. So is that a 24" blade or not? I need to find out to order a new one.

On that topic what's a good make of blade to buy for green logs full of sap? This one grinds to a halt on fresh Leylandii and I've got a bunch of those to cut down.

Reply to
Dave Baker

As I recall the newer blades are identical to the old apart from the hole size. From memory the more expensive ones fit the older saws.

I subsequently discovered the Spear and Jackson garden saw which is at least twice as fast as a bow saw. Can't find the link but I'm sure I saw them in B&Q the other day. £10 ish IIRC

Reply to
stuart noble

I used a sandvik on an old British saw of indeterminate age it's not too close at the moment so I cannot look but ISTR recall it had more than one hole at one end of the blade so could cope with some variation from the 60cm /24" it was sold as. In their range it is a number 23 for green wood. As Bahco are the same company they may also be available under that label.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

A chain saw is a lot easier.

Reply to
harryagain

Beat me to it!

Reply to
newshound

A bow saw with a decent sharp blade can be surprisingly easy to work and fast, especially compared to the time obtaining the fuel and oil, taking it to near the workplace, filling the saw up and then carrying it all back again. less time putting on the appropriate PPE kit as well. Sure if you have hours of work to do or are cutting down large mature trees thena chainsaw comes into its own but always using one for a few large bushes is like using a sledgehammer to crack a nut. As noted in another thread recently use of power other than ones own muscle isn't always required.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

It might be possible to cause yourself horrendous injury with a bow saw, but it's a lot less likely.

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

Silky gomtaro

AJH

Reply to
news

If I wanted a chain saw I'd buy one. Anyway after some Googling I think this is a 24" blade and a new Hilka one is on its way from Ebay for £4.25 and free postage. Hopefully it'll make this winter's tree felling a bit easier than the old blunt blade.

Reply to
Dave Baker

nine quid.

Reply to
PeterC

I see at the top of the page they also sell a branch locator.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

That's the one. Magic.

Reply to
stuart noble

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

Took me a moment to twig that.

Reply to
PeterC

Turning into one of those threads that go barking mad.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

Leave off, you lot.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Who started this off anyway?

I think they should take a bough.

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

Yew're welcome.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

All this brings back some frond memories.

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

Start a simple topic and see what transpires...

Reply to
PeterC