Bosh Drill

The keyless chuck on my Bosch drill has packed in . A new one from Bosch cost £22.00 +post etc.

. Its an old drill, does the job well but is hardly worth paying £22 to repair.

It looks like a pretty standard keyless chuck with female screw fitting. One from Screwfix is £29.00.

Anyone know where I might pick up a cheap one.

Sam

Reply to
Sam Farrell

You need to say which model drill you have, then you/someone can find out the thread size. On cordless drills, there are 2 thread sizes in general use, 1/2x20 and

3/8x24 I had the same problem with a GSR 14.4, I got a new Jacobs chuck for around £30 from Tools International.

Worth paying it IMO, as the drill was pretty decent. Maybe not such a good buy if the drill is old. I've got a brand new boxed GSR14.4 for sale for £50 - still £90 at Screwfix when I looked, maybe better value buying a new drill than replacing the chuck on an old one. Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

£30 buys you a decent new drill. Look around.
Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Depends if its blue or green.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

More drivel from dribble.

It buys a drill.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

=A336 buys a Kress variable speed, 2-gear 850W hammer drill with 13mm chuck, ASL and 5yr guarantee at Wickes at the moment, reduced from =A360. They're in the process of replacing them with the next model down - 650W, single gear - but still at =A360.

SKU is 167240 if anyone's interested, but hard to find a branch that still has stock.

I believe Messrs Drivel, Plowman and Handyman have all recommended certain Kress products at various times in the past.

Reply to
mike

I've only ever tried one of their products - so wouldn't comment on others I don't know, unlike some.

A half price end of range drill at 30 quid might well be ok, though.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Please eff off as you are a total plantpot.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I would recommend Wickes/Kress 100% as being top quality products. Searched for that SKU on their site & got no results though.

I've had the 650w SDS turbo nutter bastard for over 2 years and its survived a sh*t load of use & abuse. Cant fault it, powerful, robust, reliable.

If I were in the position of having to re equip the Handyvan from scratch I'd go for the 18v Wickes system of drill, jigsaw, circ saw, recip saw, torch etc all from one batery & charger.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Remaining stock is only available in store. It's the second on down on this page minus the red grips on the handle and the detachable cable.

've been without an ordinary mains drill since my Bosch died one month outside the guarantee period and have been relying on the secondary chuck in the SDS for jobs the cordless wouldn't handle.

After using a friend's elderly AEG (from when AEG was still AEG) I was reminded how useful a mains would be so I bought the Kress when I saw it at that price. Used it a few times and a fine piece of kit it is.

I notice Wickes or Hitachi have finally upped the guarantee to five years on Hitachi products in the latest Wickes catalogue too.

Reply to
mike

I had an AEG years ago & it was excellent. Who owns them now?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

My recollection - and I'm not guaranteeing it's correct - is that they were owned by Atlas Copco for a while who then decided to sell off their portable power tools business. I thought they were a brand for a Chinese company now (like Milwaukee and Ryobi) but I might be totally wrong about that. No idea what the quality is like these days

- they might be fine - I just thought that someone had been playing musical chairs with the brand name and sometimes quality goes out the window when that happens.

I believe that Electrolux own the AEG name for white goods.

Reply to
mike

detachable cables.

Also noted that in plumbing they had significantly enhanced the range of fittings including 28mm and things like (not cheap) full and part crossovers

Reply to
Tony Bryer