Bosh Bosh Bosh

To be fair, so does TMH.

Reply to
Clive George

I saw the end credits as I was channel hopping, googled it to see what it was about, sounds hardly worth keeping snooker in the name, I'm sure the organisers are delighted that Ronnie won it though ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

But that depends on how bent your cue is

Reply to
geoff

Yup, I probably spent an hour and a half or more looking over this place (in two visits), but was surprised just how little time some folks spend looking when I was the vendor rather than buyer!

Reply to
John Rumm

You may want to take a 'customer-oriented' approach at the issue. Given the kind of property, where located, its expected selling price, etc. you may have a not-so-rough idea of the kind of people who may be willing to buy it and then decide the most effective strategy accordingly.

For instance, some potential buyers at the lower end of the spectrum would definitely prefer a a 'ready to move into' house where there seem to be no repair/maintenance/upgrade forthcoming. Other potential buyers at the other end of the spectrum won't care about the wallpaper as they would redecorate everything anyway (as suggested).

In any case, more naive buyers would be cheered up by seeing all freshly painted in magnolia/white, while less naive ones would certainly look for dirt/stains/ indications of anything sub-standard to justify a lower offer.

I still remember some of the suggestions provided by the usual female estate agent, so here you go:

1) fireplace lit while people visiting; pleasant music in the background; the house should give the impression of a warm, lively, and happy place 2) No dogs barking, kids screaming, neighbours quarrelling 3) Subtle smell of freshly baked bread (!) - avoid freshly fried onion rings or extra strong curry 4) Most people visit after work, which now (Nov) means artificial light on: have lights cleverly set so as to create the illusion of wider rooms, higher ceilings, etc 5) The house should be tidy, with the bare minimum of furniture and other stuff in the way. The more stuff you have in a room (furniture, etc) the smaller it will look like. On the other side, no room should look like unused

Enjoy...

Reply to
Woland

Not on this NG.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Good point. We both smoke, but only in the kitchen near the extractor fan. Guess we could smoke outside for a few weeks.

Aim of the game is to get the best price, so a tart up & a smoking policy makes sense.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I have a gravel drive (18mm) as well. It does actually look very good.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Pretty much what the estate agent lady said.

I'm actually quite good at creating illusions :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Doesn't seem to be the case around here. Area seems to be becoming more popular. Two major supermarkets are building huge stores locally & three major retailers have recently moved into the previously tatty town centre. Lots of investment in the infrastructure as well.

ES lady described the address as highly desireable.

Again, very much what the lady said. 'Kerbside appeal' seems to be the phrase.

Good point. No pets, no damp. We do both smoke, but can shift that to outside for the duration.

Another good point. I work in a fair amount of lower cost properties & the garden is always a telling sight.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Spent most of my life in sales, so I take that on board. I plan to have a chat with a highly reccommended estate agent to find out more about my target market.

Agreed. Aged decorating though lends an air of neglect to a place.

Don't have any fire places & will be selling in the summer :-) Music is a good idea.

Not a problem around here.

:-)

Lighting is pretty good actually, but we will be selling in summer.

Been watching those house doctor shows on TV. De cluttering is our first step. SWMBO has been allocated the job, whilst I decorate. Many boot fairs loom :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Being local, have you heard anything about what is happening to the Russian sub moored in the river?

It was listing at about 20 degrees when we last passed by, so if it carries on like that, it wont be long before it has sunk. Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

So you'll be removing the smell of smoke and making the rooms look bigger with mirrors?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

It's in His job description. R.

Reply to
TheOldFellow

I see no inherent contradiction between the two. There's no reason a 1970 bathroom suite cannot be well maintained.

While not particularly desirable, there is nothing wrong with a 1970 bathroom suite, unless it's broken. Of course an 1870 one would be much better, so good that people imitate them now, but an original one in good condition would be highly sought after.

Heh, a 1970 suite in a 1970 house could be called a "period feature".

Reply to
Ronald Raygun

lol.

Reply to
dennis

Better than skanky old textured paper.

We did magnolia & white everywhere at our old place to help sell. Painted over all old wallpaper including patterned and textured. Seemed to work!

Reply to
funkyoldcortina

Absolutely!

And anything 'dodgy' will be hidden up my sleeve :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

My timber merchant is at the end of Canal Road, almost opposite the sub. I was there last week & it looked fine.

Some good info & pictures here

The Medway Handyman

"I'm afraid the sawing-the-pretty-girl-in-half box isn't included, but we'll leave the wall lights"

Owain

Reply to
Owain