Bosch Washing Machine Breakdown

Hi,

Our Bosch washing machine broke down yesterday. As luck wouldn't have it the

5 year warranty expired on the 12th and the machine on the 13th. Guess they call that the law of Sod.

It's completely dead - no lights or anything. I've checked the plug and socket which are OK. Any ideas as to what sort of fault it could be?

Cheers.

Reply to
RedOnRed

First thing to do would be to check any internal fuse if you're sure the one in the plug is ok. If there is one it should be close behind where the power cord goes in. If not then the primary board could have blown which is probably not cost effective to replace. Most other faults would at least leave some lights on I think.

Not wishing to hijack your thread but it's made me wonder how old my Hotpoint is now which is still going strong apart from a broken plastic settings knob. I just switch it on with pliers now. I can't exactly remember when I bought it but I hadn't been in this house very long and I do remember the car I had to collect it with and looking up my records I ran that between mid 1989 and mid 1991. Call it 19 years old. Mind you it only gets used once a week or so and a family with kids could be doing washes twice a day or more. On that basis it's barely 18 months old. Somehow I don't think it'll last another 40 years though.

Modern ones have too much expensive crap inside them to last a decent time just like modern central heating boilers. I think mine is all clockwork inside. No circuit boards at all or at worst just rudimentary ones.

Reply to
Dave Baker

Lets get this right.. You put it on to wash when you went to bed on the 12th and it hadn't worked when you got up on the 13th and you are know reporting it on the 14th.. sounds like its within the warranty to me.

Reply to
dennis

Hmmm, i'm liking the cut of your jib. :-)

Might be worth a punt.

Reply to
RedOnRed

Try Bosch first. It may be one day out of warranty, but in my experience, Bosch aftercare is extremely good and they'll probably fix it for you anyway.

dan.

Reply to
dent

In message , RedOnRed writes

I'd definitely be on the phone to them if it's a manufacturer warranty. It's got to be worth a try.

Reply to
Clint Sharp

My Hotpoint (a "microtronic LE" -- electronic one) from about 1984 is still going strong. It was used for about 3 years with four small children, then as a "spare" machine, (but regularly used) for the next 10 or more years in paralell with an AEG which itself was replaced by a Bosch a couple of years ago. Some (early) years it was used at least daily, and at least 3 times a week for most of the time. It's had numerous brushes, a new motor (under warranty), pump, and drum & motor bearings, plus a rebuild of the concrete weight with old lead sheet.

As long as spares are available it should see me out in another 30 years or so.

Reply to
<me9

My Panasonic microwave blew up two days out of warranty. No problems at all getting it repaired at the manufacturor's expense. YMMV.

Reply to
<me9

Sounds a bit like Trigger's brush then :)

Apart from the 15 new heads and 8 new handles it's still the same brush. Mine has actually never had a repair.

Reply to
Dave Baker

The extended 5 year warranty was with Domestic & General which they have agreed to honour even though it's elapsed.

So a Bosch engineer is coming round to repair it on Friday under the old expired warranty.

Can't complain at all and it is certainly a right old result. Mind you, I do have about 4 other things covered by D&G which may have helped swing it.

Reply to
RedOnRed

For anyone that's interested in the outcome of this a Bosch engineer has just been round and soldered a contact behind the display module part of the machine. It's now repaired and working nicely again (for the time being).

He seemed to be a bit surprised to be repairing it when the warranties expired. Oh well.

Anyway, cheers for the replies.

Reply to
RedOnRed

Thanks for keeping us posted. And well done for a very satisactory outcome.

Kostas

Reply to
Kostas Kavoussanakis