Bosch PSB 14.4V-i Cordless Impact Drill with Turbocharger.

Hi All

Saw this on the Argos site "Bosch PSB 14.4V-i Cordless Impact Drill with Turbocharger".

It claims;

(a) Battery recharges in just 15 minutes with Bosch Turbocharger!

How does that work, and what does it do to the poor batteries?

(b) Revolutionary impact mechanism for maximum drilling power, in concrete and hard materials.

What's revolutionary about it?

Anyone know?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Probably pulsed charging of some sort.

Every fast charger reduces battery life IMHO.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You can get charger ICs that both measure the cell temperature and look for the small reduction in the cell voltage when the cell is charged. When this is detected, the charger switches from a high current charging to a low current trickle charge. Likewise, if the temperature gets too high, it reduces the charging current.

These ICs are used in the more expensive chargers and have more features than I've described, like maximum charge timers, etc. They can be kinder to the batteries than the "3 hour" cheapies that can over-charge the batteries if they are left charging for greater than the specified time.

The impact mechanism goes round in circles, behind the drill bit :-)

Reply to
John Weston

Maybe the charger technology from the bosch pro-tools has made it to the diy stuff. The pro charger/batteries are first class. I have a

14.4V drill and 14.4V impact driver - they can both be worked hard day after day. I leave the not-in-use battery on the charger all the time (only swapping cells as one begins to slow) - which is meant to be ok nowadays.
Reply to
dom

So it moves the drill bit in and out? Rather than moving the chuck in and out? How does it compare to an SDS?

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

A turbo charger would be pretty useless for a battery powered drill.

;-)

Mark

Reply to
Mark

And just how do you think this could be achieved since the chuck grips the drill bit tightly?

SDS drill bits are driven by flutes for just that reason that they can be 'hammered' without having to move the extra weight of the chuck.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Then someone goes and puts a 1m bit on the drill.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Hope you had a nice holiday. Your fan club awaits, they've been rather quiet in your absence, and they're beginning to strain at the leash, and slobber.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Someone missed the smiley and the pun on "revolution-ary"...

I've no idea what is "revolutionary" about the Bosch mechanism. It must be somewhere behind the drill bit, as is the chuck and motor. A "revolutionary impact mechanism" could well imply it goes round? :-)

Reply to
John Weston

< snip senility >

< snip more senility >

Sad isn't it.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

This drill is new. Bosch imply it is clearly different to normal percussion and SDS hammer mechanisms. Their web site do not explain the mechanism.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

You're the senile one, old boy, if you don't know how a three jaw chuck works.

It's sad that after all your posturing on cordless drills etc you haven't a clue how they work.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I hope he had his porridge this morning.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Did he not take his socks on holiday?

Reply to