Bosch PMF180E multitool offer - 42.50UKP

to under 50 quid which is the best price I've seen. Also, if you go to:

can get another 15% off (of everything at B&Q today).

Best price I've seen...

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

Thanks. One gift for Xmas sorted...

For me! ;-)

Reply to
Adrian C

Ditto. For £42 something, it was a snip.

My B&Q didn't have any other tools. I was particularly interested in the cutter for removing tile grout. Are they generally available?

Lawrence

Reply to
Lawrence

Very useful tool, great bargain at that price.

I've found Lawsons & Axminster stock them & are reasonably priced.

The tile grout thingy is a little on the thick side for some tiles.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

How does it compare to the Fein one?

comparing carbide segment saw to 2p)

Reply to
John Rumm

I'll have a look when I get a mo.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

If the grout is just Mapei etc non-epoxy then a HD stanley blade will get it out after a few scores, if the intention is to either remove a tile or regrout. That is true even if the tiles are not edge-glazed - where serrated tools will just rip the face glaze off.

Reply to
js.b1

Miles Tool & Machinery had best prices when I was buying my cordless version earlier this year, and before that I've bought blades from Rapid Electronics IIRC

You can use an ordinary wood or metal blade if you don't ever want to use it for wood or metal again (or if it's too blunt to be useful on the original materials anyway).

Reply to
YAPH

I'm still not convinced, based on my experience with the Bosch power scraper, which it greatly resembles. A lot of bouncing about but no real power

Reply to
Stuart Noble

I also have a power scraper (got given it in fact) - and its not comparable to an oscillating tool.

There is no bouncing with the carbide segment saw - its more like using a small angle grinder (without the dust), since the movement is around the central axis. The one I pictured:

typically use for cutting out sections of tiles in situ. So for example installing a shaver socket in the middle of a large tile where I wanted a rectangular cut out, or the other day, retrofitting a new bar mixer shower for a friend where we needed to cut out half of a pair of tiles - used it to both rake the old grout, and cut across the tiles before attacking the wall behind with the SDS.

Reply to
John Rumm

Ok, watched the video and, yes, it does look useful. In stock too. I know I have some floorboards to cut in situ before long. Anybody used it for that?

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Yes, more than once. Excellent. Very narrow kerf as well, so it does a neat job.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I have, both proper floorboards and t+g chipboard. I do most of the cut as a plunge cut with a circular saw then use the bosch to finish the ends/corners, saves having to cut into the next board. You could do the whole thing with the bosch but it would be very slow (and noisy, ear defenders recommended).

Reply to
pcb1962

I have use my Multi-Master for this but it's much slower than the broken off jigsaw blade method. Of course that was with the supplied saw - there might be coarser ones available

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You've mentioned the broken jigsaw blade before Dave & I'm tempted to try it out given the price of the Bosch blades.

Say you want to saw through 20mm boards, but not cut into the joist below.

If you break the blade at 20mm with the blade holder in the 'down' position will it cut through a 20mm board or do you have to break at 20m with the holder 'up'?

My jigsaw has a an 18mm stroke. so it could cut 18mm past the base of the board?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

One of my most typical uses. Quite handy when you can't cut over a joist as well. because of its fine blade, you can cut through a board at a 45 degree slant - then when you replace the board you only need move it up by a mm or so to have the fixed board support the cut end.

Reply to
John Rumm

Pull the blade fully out and measure from the saw bed. Snap the blade off so it's slightly longer than the depth of cut needed (2 or 3mm) - a slight groove in the joist won't matter. Of course make sure there are no pipes etc immediately below.;-) To start the cut place the saw with blade near horizontal and the front of the bed on the board, then firmly but slowly pivot it into the work moving forward at the same time. After getting to the edge turn it round and cut to the other edge. With a bit of practice you'll find you can cut a board as quickly as if it were up - and the broken blade lasts as long as any.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

One way to guarantee squeaky boards. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Not if you stick a couple of screws into the overlap.

Reply to
John Rumm

Your boards must be better quality than mine. ;-)

If forced to cut other than on a joist I screw a bit of 2x2 etc between the adjacent boards to support the joint. And screw them to that. Messy if you have exposed boards, of course. But I don't.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)