Bosch PMF/Multimaster blades

Never owned or used a Multimaster, very pleased with my Bosch PMF 180 except that the blades are expensive (not as expensive as the Fein) and don't seem to last that long.

Today for example fitting laminate flooring.

Newish plunge cut blade, used once or twice before. Trimmed the architrave from 7 doorways, 2 per door to allow laminate to go under. Architrave was MDF & quite chunky.

Blade was buggered by the time I had finished.

Do the Multimaster blades last longer than that?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Probably - but not by very much.

Reply to
Roger Mills

No idea. Having paid HOW MUCH for the Mutleymaster in the first place, I just have the butler order a few spares from Harrods and don't worry about it...

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Not much, but it's hard to compare unless in the same conditions. MDF alone has no effect for ages on Fein blades, the killer is hitting masonry/masonry dust/metal which is inevitable cutting architrave,skirting and door jambs etc.

The bi-metallic ones are a bit better, as in the the teeth stay on, but they soon deteriorate to the point where you are abrading and creating smoke.

I keep tellingmyself I will try bodging something up out of a defunct blade as a holder to take segments of hacksaw blades or something like that, but I always end up just buying a few more for the sake of a night's boozing.

Reply to
Bolted

Don't know but buy the other alternative from Argos and you only ever get one bloody blade. Total rip off. :(

Reply to
ericp

A bit - perhaps - but only if you don't hit something you shouldn't

Lawson do 10 packs of the basic E-cut blades for about £72 IIRC, as do:

are linked from Fein's own site)

Reply to
John Rumm

Haven't bought any blades for quite some time, but IIRC there are "timber only" blades and "multimaterial" blades. The former cut very nicely but self-destruct on the first nail.

Depending how frequently you do this job (do you undercut skirting as well?), you could consider using a biscuit jointer (never tried this, but the instructions with my Mak say you can - I dare say the blades don't like nails much either), or one of those fancy circular saws designed to be set on their side for this purpose (particularly undercutting doors for carpets - a job I imagine you get a few calls for).

Reply to
RubberBiker

My jointer has a TCT blade, i expect it will go through nails without problem, my TCT circular saw blade goes through nails and screws as though they weren't there..

The limited depth of cut and the cr@p motor in the jointer might be a problem but it was only ~£17 from aldi.

Reply to
dennis

I can't believe there isn't a simple tool for this job. You really just need a sawblade with the handle on top rather than at the end. Maybe suction cups would work.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

TCT blades go through nails easily when they're firmly embedded in the timber. If not, they can knock the tips off the teeth, usually several at a time.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Bosch or Fein? I've found that with the Bosch.

Don't really undercut skirting - I'd remove/replace. I did consider getting a door trimming saw, but they cost an arm & several legs.

I do get quite a few calls to trim doors, but in 80% of cases they have already been removed by carpet/floor fitters, so I just measure, trim (sawboard) & re hang.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

The non-TC blades can be resharpened, for small values of sharp. I use a Dremel and a cutoff wheel to reshape the teeth, going by eye and hacking out something roughly tooth-like, rather than trying for exact angles and even pitch.

Good enough for a cut or three, and good to have a blade for when nails, mortar etc. look likely to dull a good blade.

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer