Bosch PMF 180 replacement

My trusty PMF has finally packed up, after a lot of use, was looking at the Cordless version as a lot of sites I work on only allow 110V power tools now. But it is a tad expensive.

I found this ,(£75 could be worth a punt) but have never heard of them, anyone got one of these and find it useful or useless?

CEL +Ion Multi2PRO Cordless Oscillating Multi-tool part of the expanding

10.8v +Ion range. MT1

The powerful cordless Multi2PRO can handle many difficult jobs. It's lightweight at 0.9kg and comfortable to use. The Multi2PRO is so versatile it can cut through most materials including metal pipes and tiles; wood, concrete and masonry; it can remove tiling grout, vinyl floor and scrape off glued down carpet; and help in repairing old windows and sealant around sinks/baths.

The easy snap-on 10.8V Li-ion battery can be charged in under an hour using the fast charger included. The Multi2PRO has adjustable speed and oscillates between 5000~19000/min to ensure high speed cutting with an oscillation angle of 3.2 degrees. The triangular sanding pad can reach into those tight corners that were difficult before, and when a tip is worn out the pad can be removed and rotated to use a fresh corner with the loop-and-hook fastener. An LED work light illuminates your work piece and a battery indicator on the side of the tool helps you keep an eye on your battery life. The Blade Adaptor allows you to use multi-tool blades and accessories from other manufactures.

Reply to
Camdor

UK comes under EU law which permits use of 230V power tools if fitted with RCD (indeed quite a few power tools such as big Marcrist tools come in 230V form re kW and inline RCD for this reason).

The only exception may be hospitals, power stations, pumping stations and such like.

Reply to
js.b1

I bought a PMF180 some time ago with no particular job in mind - it just seemed a handy tool, and of course I got my 10% discount from B&Q, being an old fogey. Shortly after that I found a use - trimming (well, actually chopping away) some old 70s style pine panelling, then a year or so ago creating a "loose" floorboard (by slitting the relevant tongues) to re-route a telephone and a data cable through a bedroom into the study. Apart from that it hasn't been used at all - it's just a _very_ useful toy for some jobs.

8-)
Reply to
Frank Erskine

There is a corded Blue bosch version now:

I found this ,(£75 could be worth a punt) but have never heard of them,

Looks ok from what one can see, and the reviews seem ok.

It looks like the one designed by that chap who did the multi-function cordless tool kit demoed on Dragon's Den...

Yup, in fact - same brand:

John Rumm

Phone Bosch. My PMF has just gone in for it's 3rd repair under warranty after some fairly heavy use, and they are surprisingly flexible about the warranty terms. The warranty is officially 2 years I think, but it's over 2 years old now, and it was no problem.

andrew

Mine usually has the sander attached, it''s a great aggresive sander.

[g]
Reply to
george [dicegeorge]

Most Sites only have 110V available, and 230V power leads are not allowed for H&S reasons.

Reply to
Camdor

Cheers, will do

Reply to
Camdor

They are.

EU H&S specifically permits 230V if RCD fitted or RCD supplied - because 1) EU power tools tend to be 230V 2) EU tradesmen must be allowed to turn up and use their 230V tools rather than forced to buy

110V which would be restrictive practice.

There are a very few exceptions, most likely hospital, utility & power station (gases).

Some site managers do not want 230V to prevent non-UK tradesmen, or force them to hire 110V equipment at inflated rates under the guise of PPE (a nice trick of agencies). However, EU law does permit 230V subject to RCD protection.

Reply to
js.b1

I have both (nyaaa nyaaaaa :-)). I intended the leave the mains one at home but now I take it with me too because (a) the cordless broke down a couple of times (but after repairing it once they then replaced it and the new one's been OK) but (b) for heavy work (e.g. a lot of deep cutting) the cordless drains its batteries faster than they can be recharged and I found myself waiting & juggling batteries on the charger rather than getting the job done.

But if you've only got 110V ...

Reply to
YAPH

When you say you have both is the cordless one the CEL one?

Reply to
tinnews

Try getting on the average site with 230v.

Jobsworths rule OK?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Bosch PMF180E 30% off at B&Q for 4 days £62.98 dont know if its cheaper elsewhere.. [g]

Reply to
george [dicegeorge]

Interesting. I worked on a large building site a couple of years ago doing some filming. It was on a Sunday, so no actual work going on. Their H&S guys were adamant no 240 volts allowed anywhere - regardless of RCD protection or not. Even using our own generators. So we ran everything on batteries all day. Luckily very little lighting was required.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The rules were changed a while ago.

MB

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Agreed. I got rid of the green Bosch corded for a blue cordless. It is a far better tool, less vibration, but battery life is dire. When this one is knackered, I'll be getting a corded one again, maybe going for the Fein.

Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

Not curable with a couple of extra spare batts?

Not having used any other than the Fein its hard to compare - but I would not have sited vibration as an issue at all with the Fein. Even prolonged use does not leave you with any tingling sensation in the fingers etc.

Reply to
John Rumm

Anything that's used for much of the time while working - like say a sander - is going to be hopeless from batteries. Drills, etc, only get used for a short percentage of the working time.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Its £59.99 on amazon with free delivery

Reply to
Camdor

Beware Amazon if the cheapest tend to walk the price up once things begin to move. So if they are the cheapest, buy.

I recall the green Bosch SDS PBH 2000 at =A354, Router at =A345, they and many others have walked up quite a bit in price since. Probably so they can re-discount if targets not hit before xmas or in the sales.

Reply to
js.b1