Bosch PHO 100 Planer Blades

Hi, I need to change the blades on Bosch PHO 100 Planer and true to'Sod's law' can find every manual except the one for this! Does anyone know where I can get a copy of this manual (the bosch site has pdfs only for current models). Is there anything I need to be careful of in replacing them setting the correct depth, making sure the new blades are parallel etc or is it a very simple procedure?

TIA Graham

Reply to
Graham Mead

That sounds like the model I have (although I don't have it here to check). In that case, IIRC you just slacken off one or two allen key bolts and slide the blade out. It's been a while, but I think the blades have two sides, so you can refit it the other way round to use the new cutting edge if that hasn't already been done. There's no further adjustment to be done.

Something else you can get is a curved edge blade. This is excellent for planing wood which is wider than the blade, and prevents you getting a step in the surface caused by the edge of the blade. These are much more expensive though.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Cheers Andrew,

So pushing the blade fully into the holder automatically sets it parallel with the right amount of blade being prominent?

Reply to
Graham Mead

*If* that's the same model as mine, yes. The blade slides in/out from the edge I think.
Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Its easy to check.

Turn the plane over and place a small piece of wood on the out feed surface and projecting over the blade. Mark where it crosses the edge of the outfeed surface. Rotate the blade by hand . It should pick up the piece of wood and move it slightly forward

Carry out this operation with both blades. The distance travelled should be equal.

You can also check if the blade is sitting correctly by carrying out this check first on one side of the blade and then on the other.

If the blade doesn't move the wood then the blade is set too low.

Seting planer blades has been likened to root canal work, just not quite as pleasant .

On the other hand electric paners are savage tools anyway so shouldn't be too finicky to set up

Paul Mc Cann

Reply to
Paul Mc Cann