Bosch Ixo 3.6V or Ryobi 4.8V or ???

Screwing in screws. It is delicate eough.

softwood

I have done that too. Wizzed around very well.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

We *know* you can read adverts.

Feedback from someone who has actually used one might prove the lie.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

He must have a house full of cordless tools if he actually bought each of his 'flavour of the month' tools. The answer is he owns non but simply quotes ads.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

This is partly true... so long as you ignore the smaller and lighter tools of course like the Makita TD020D LiIon 7.2V

Nice video of it in action on this page:

eBay price is nearly twice the B&D one, but then again it is just over half the weight, and comes with two batts and a fast charger (30 mins Vs 5 to 8 hours on the B&D) etc.

Describing any of these mini IDs as "small" is stretching the point a little - The B&D is relatively light at just under 1kg which is handy, but its design means it is longer than the "big" conventional T handle design units. Compare the bit to hand position length:

the largest conventional design which is only about 155mm long:

John Rumm

They are actually less useful on the smallest stuff than the bigger ones since they spin at 2000+ RPM plus, and are fixed speed rather than variable. You would be a brave man to wind in long screws in electrical accessories for exmaple using one of these.

I guess to someone with limited experience it may well appear so. However if you think that there are inaccuracies or omissions then feel free to make them known.

Reply to
John Rumm

Please eff off you are a troll.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Please eff off you are a troll.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

They are now know because of this thread.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

There is nothing much that I have seen in this thread that is not already covered in the article, as far as I can see. Unless you would like specific mention of the ultra light weight category of tools?

So far, information on makes and models has been discussed, but since the wiki article does not make any specific recommendations in this area, there is nothing to change there. Ordinary powered screwdrivers have been discussed (not impact) so again not relevant to the article.

Reply to
John Rumm

You didn't know about the small Impact Drivers.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Neither of them.

Get the Bosch 10.8v lithium driver, which is the best you will get for useage, and handling.

dg

Reply to
dg

Best read this thread.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Who was it who pointed out that your choice of "smallest" was actually less than accurate?

Being realistic there is a constant stream of new products coming to market. Some of these will push the envelope of what can be done with a particular tool, and may be worthy of a mention in a general purpose article. However that should not distract from providing the basic information that will apply to the majority of the mainstream tools available.

Reply to
John Rumm

Yup, done similar with mine; no problem. First one I got was an early model, and the battery died after not much work. Returned it and was given a slightly more expensive box containing more bits and a built in bit rack on the charger stand. Gave it a good charge and no further trouble.

Gets a bit hot after a charge, in particular the two metal contacts underneath. But small, and great for tight corners.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Mine was in a daft metal box; even after charging a couple of times it's gutless. The 4.8V Ryobi is only a little bit better so I'm wondering if I'm expecting too much.

Dave

Reply to
NoSpam

What were you expecting / hoping?

I would not expect a 4.8V driver to do more than about a 2" 8 gauge screw without a pilot hole - possibly not even with. (depends a bit on the gearing obviously). Should be ok for assembling flat packs and spinning in machine screws though.

Reply to
John Rumm

Indeed. I have a B&Q/Ryobi jobby which is only ever used for the hinges on kitchen cabinets - for which it is perfect. Bugger all use for anything else mind.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Some boiler engineers have them specifically for that point.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Looks like the B&D impact driver then.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

You did a Google straight after. I mentioned the B&D around 6 months ago. It has been around since the beginning of the year.

The general gist of Impact Drivers on the FAQ, only and "generally", relates to units geared for framing and the likes. There are many forms of Impact Drivers that are suited to heavy framing to light detailed work.

Impact Drivers will be the norm in matter of a few years time with models across the application and price spectrum coming out, as your Google is confirming. Expect to see switchable Impact to normal drill/driving models - a Bosch rep was telling me they had prototypes of this type of unit, but whether they hit the shelves is another matter. BTW, I recon the Makita you linked to is a good buy at that price for what you get. Two batteries as well. But, at 17nm is around half that of the B&D.

Ebay a buy-it-now price of £55 inc delivery. Many who only go for small

12v drill/drivers would be better going for the Makita 7.2v Impact Driver. The problem is most just don't know.
Reply to
Doctor Drivel