Bosch dishwasher problem

Hi all, Happy New Year! (possibly) We've got a Bosch dishwasher that's stopped emptying. The dial on the front still goes round and when it gets to the point where it should pump out it sounds like normal but the water doesn't go away. I've removed the filter block and frigged the door interlock so it runs and carefully stuck one of my pinkies down the drain hole to what feels like the pump and it's not moving (though it is free to turn). Don't know the model number but it's only about 2 years old and it's one of the 450mm wide ones if that helps. Any ideas? It'll be a royal pain to get out from under the unit if necessary as I'll have to lift the laminate flooring (long story, don't ask) but I thought I'd try you guys (and dolls) before resorting to a kitchen refit. TIA, Richard

Reply to
Frisket

I can't help you directly. However, a Bosch dishwasher should still be working after 2 years as it is regarded as a premium product. You'd probably have a reasonable claim under your statutory rights from the retailer even if the guarantee has expired, provided the machine hasn't been abused.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

We have exactly the same problem with our Bosch dishwasher which "gave up the ghost" at 18 months old!!!! It is also 450mm wide.

You can buy a replacement pump for £22 from Bosch however it is an absolute nightmare to get at and fix. Therefore, the machine is sitting in my kitchen untouched at the moment.

Incidentally, the machines now have a 2 year guarantee!!!! It's a shame I didn't wait a couple of months before buying - I would have saved myself the huge amount of cash that I will probably have to fork out to get someone to repair it!

As you can imagine the wife is none to pleased.

Again, you probably have a claim under statutory rights against the retailer (not the manufacturer). This is not a dodgy make bought from a market trader, but a premium product. With two people in a small newsgroup with the same problem, it sounds like a manufacturing or design defect to me.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Model number is likely to be etched onto the stainless steel on the top edge of the door. SPS...

Reply to
Nick Finnigan

Can you post the model number please, just in case we have the same model... :) Although ours,which is around 2 years old, is still working ok at the moment...

Lee

Reply to
Lee Blaver

Mine is SPS5462GB, and has only needed replacement basket wheels (upper).

Reply to
Nick Finnigan

Ours is a SRS4012 450mm model, it hasn't needed anything yet... I was just interested to see if there was a problem with the 450mm ones.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Blaver

Ours is an SRS5612GB (Bosch Exxcel) but the mechanics of most of the models are the same.

This model is identical, to look at, as the SRS43E02 currently on sale in the shops - the slim line one - 8/9 place settings not 12. It is 45cm wide not 60cm.

Hopefully the 60cm models will have a better pump fitted.

Thanks for the replies and sorry it's taken so long to come back. It's a 4012 model for those collecting numbers ;-) Outcome:- Lifted the laminate flooring (boo-hoo) and dragged the machine out. Couldn't find my torx bits so had a trip to b&q and got SWMBO to part with enough gold to buy a set (complete with various drill bits, sockets etc - well you never know when they'll come in handy he-he). Got the top off with a few well aimed blows from a rubber mallet. Removed the sides and found that the pump I could feel down the drain hole is in fact the one that does the circulating if you frig the door interlock on a dishwasher and set it running make sure the programmers set to pump out and not to wash. You wouldn't believe 1. How fast the arms go round & 2. How far the water will go from said arms when the door is open. Placed gob over end of hose and blew hard. Nothing seemed to happen but when I turned it back on the bloody thing emptied and has been ok ever since... Don't think there was a blockage as I emptied it into a bowl and had a good look - NICE! Rebuilt it, replaced it and kicked it. Just the laminate flooring to replace this weekend (after I've modified the cupboard it lives in so it'll sit on top of the flooring). Once again thanks, Regards, Richard

Reply to
Frisket

Richard

Interesting, you sorted it by blowing down the outlet hose? I will have to try that for mine! If the pump down the drainhole does the circulating, is there another pump for the emptying if so where is it? I have had the top, sides, bottom off mine but didn't spot another pump.

PS how do you frig the door interlock?

Thanks

set

Hey, it's good enough for trainspotters ;)

That's the model we have as well....

snip

Noted, and saved for future reference.

Except the bit about the laminate, we tiled the entire floor before we fitted the base units and the appliances - it just seemed like a good idea ;)

Lee

Reply to
Lee Blaver

I wonder if the problem was the shaft of the pump sticking. From memory, I think that the outlet pump is a shaded pole motor type, and these have no significant starting torque. If you are in a hard water area, there may be scale build up around the bearings. Just a thought Regards Capitol

Reply to
Capitol

Hi N, To frig the door interlock insert a knife in the door slot where the tongue on the top frame should go. There is a catch that kind of revolves away from you until it clicks into place - sounds like double-dutch but if you try it you'll see what I mean ;-) As for the location of the other pump I dunno, once I'd blown down the pipe and it worked I couldn't get the bugger back together fast enough!! Regards, Richard

Reply to
Frisket

Wondered if it was something along those lines myself but water doesn't get any softer than ours so maybe we've a dodgy pole or there was some small blockage that broke up? Regards, Richard

Reply to
Frisket

I have just bought an SGS 5002 dishwasher very cheap because it had stopped working. After reading this thread and checking the

site (thanks, Federica) I got exploded parts diagrams etc. and as a last resort called their service and got to speak to an engineer about my problem.

The problem was that the machine would go some way into a cycle and then stop, continuing to make pumping noises, as if blocked. This had apparently begun soon after a re-charge of salt into the softener by the previous owners. My problem was solved by realising that they had loosened the nut securing the softener to the bottom of the machine (causing a steady leak) instead of just the cap. The base of this Bosch is a water-tight plastic tray which is fitted with a flood prevention float switch (if there is sufficient leakage the cycle stops immediately and attempts to drain). Until the base is emptied this will continue indefinitely.

Perhaps some have had a similar problem and the solution has been to empty (accidentally) the base when removing the machine for inspection?

Another possible cause for erratic behaviour that has occurred to me is that the presence of spilt salt granules could jam the pump until the salt dissolves - ie after the machine has been dismantled!

Good luck everyone!

Reply to
Richard Henshall

Can not get it to work its flashing the time

Reply to
maryconnolly2000

Can you be more specific - model? What happened just prior to this?

Reply to
Tim Watts

Have you looked at the user guide?

Reply to