Bosch dishwasher problem

Our slimline dishwasher keeps telling us that it needs salt. Spouse has filled it and checked it and it still tells us that it needs salt.

Anyone any ideas? Please don't suggest that Spouse is mistaken :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I don't put salt in my Miele dishwasher anymore. You don't have to with the new 5 in 1 tabs that are out.

Reply to
RedOnRed

On the Bosch ranger there is the option to turn off the salt light, if you use the tablets containing salt. Whats what i did.

Reply to
Andrew Welham

How?

And our dishwasher isn't a recent model ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Could you please explain how the salt from the tablets gets into the regenerator in the water softener?

Reply to
Bob Eager

nd let machine reset itself. If this does not work, refer to owner

manual if you still have i

-- davemo

Reply to
davemo

With the new tablets, the salt/water softener additive is within the tablet itself. Which means unless your water is exceptionally hard you don't have to add salt any more. That's despite the add salt warning light being illuminated.

Reply to
RedOnRed

Ah, so it's water softener as well as/instead of salt. You didn't say that.

I'm not convinced. How does it soften all the various stages of water, I wonder? Are there layers of softener in the tablet?

They're also rather more expensive...

Reply to
Bob Eager

meant is that it has an additive in the tablet which means you no longer need to use salt. Whether it's actual salt or a salt substitute I don't know, but either way its function is as a water softener.

Reply to
RedOnRed

The message from "Bob Eager" contains these words:

The only thing I'm convinced of is that they're a con. We get excellent results with Asda's budget tablets and top the salt up about three times a year.

Reply to
Guy King

Fairy nuff.

The thing is, it isn't actually salt that does the water softening. That's merely there to recharge the softener, and there is no connection between the softener and the main 'water area'. So actual salt in the tablets has no effect on the softness of the water (but will make it salty!)

Perhaps someone will explain what DOES happen...

Reply to
Bob Eager

How old? Our Bosch is late '80s and the salt light stays on for a while after I top it up. No need to worry if you know you filled it up - the sensor is probably old and tired.

Reply to
The 1st Philosophical Handyman

I don't even use tablets! I buy powder and rinse aid in bulk. Salt likewise. Salt gets topped up when I clean the machine out, once a month (we are in a hard water area).

Reply to
Bob Eager

We've never used salt in 15 years or more. The water is soft enough here without. I don't recall seeing the salt light, it's either failed, or we have got used to it being on.

Reply to
<me9

The message from "Bob Eager" contains these words:

The tablets are cheap enough that the saving of finding and storing a bulk supply wouldn't be worth it in our case. Particularly since no matter how many times I tell her the wife overdoses the powder.

Reply to
Guy King

It costs me nothing, really. Rinse aid and salt from Costco when I'm there anyway. Powder from CPC!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Didn't you learn at school?

:-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I learned that salt doesn't soften water. And dishwashers hadn't been invented!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Did she promise to "obey"?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

The message from Owain contains these words:

Nope.

Reply to
Guy King