Bosch cordless drill for brain surgery

From today's Sunday Times:

needs a Makita, anyway? ;-)

David

Reply to
Lobster

Makita wouldn't have run out of charge half way through :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

At least he had the common decency not to use the Impact Driver!...now that would make your eyes water

Reply to
grumpyat

I don't know what was used when my brain tumour was removed but the whole procedure was explained in detail beforehand by the surgeon and I wasn't at all concerned - except to ask him to not go to any parties the night before. He went to his son's swimming gala.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I'd fancy that about as much as an er.. hole in the head.

--=20 David in Normandy. snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.fr=20 To e-mail you must include the password FROG on the subject line, or it will be automatically deleted.

Reply to
David in Normandy

I'd fancy that about as much as an er.. hole in the head.

Better than the alternative!

The hole in my skull was done with a circular saw part way round then broken - rather than trepanning. That means that the bone is fixed into place and heals better rather than the cut piece floating around.

Mary.

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Ouch! I can just picture the surgeon asking if you are thick skulled so he knows how deep to set the cutting depth on his Bosch circular saw :-)

This thread is starting to make me feel queasy.

Reply to
David in Normandy

I suspect that a good brain surgeon knows more about his patients' skulls than they do - after all I've never tried piercing it ...

I'm disappointed, I thought you'd be making some pointed comment, people usually do :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I suspect the "circular" saw was actually a reciprocating/oscillating device. Much safer near human tissue (like skin and muscle) than a true circular saw! (And definitely what they use for things like removal of plaster casts.) More like a Fein Multimaster... (cue many posts)

Reply to
Rod

It wasn't near skin or muscle (not much of the latter on the side of my head!).

The skin etc. had been cut and peeled back, it formed a flap which was clipped to my forehead. I couldn't understand what that hole was until I worked it out and asked.

There were holes all over my body, with tubes going in and out. I reckoned that when all the normal ones were used up they simply made more. The one coming out of the back of my head and draining into a glass flask (honestly) was the most difficult to deal with, the flask wasn't comfortable to lie on.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher