[borderline OT] - Deterring foxes

We've kept chickens for many years, and as such are very aware of the constant attentions of the local fox population.

We also have a couple of cats which we feed outside on a balcony at the back of our house (something we have also done for a long time).

Earlier this year I noticed that any uneaten catfood would completely disappear overnight - every night.

We recently started to take the food inside, which solved that problem. Now every morning we are regularly treated to a stinking fox poo at the precise location where the cat food would be. Not pleasant.

Does anybody out there have opinions on the relative merits of the various deterrent products that seem to be commercially available?

I am predisposed to using a chemical product like SCOOT

but I see there are PIR based ultrasonic "scarers". I suspect the deter cats just as much as foxes though.

Any other ideas? (I personally favour euthenasia via a polonium spiked lump of meat) but Screwfix don't sell polonium).

Vortex3

Are the cats out at night?

Could you use a scarer but have it on a timeswitch?

Reply to
PCPaul

The only sure way of getting rid of foxes is to shoot them. Find someone with a shotgun, and ask them if the could do it, so long as there is a safe area to shoot toward. Otherwise, use a trap, then shoot them in the trap. I know a few people who do that, as they just dont have time to wait for the fox to come along through the 'safe shot' area in their garden. Scaring them with ultrasonics is pretty comical - the fox is clever, so not easily fooled by strange sounds it suddenly hears. Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

The only solution which worked for us was to build a 2m chain link fence all round the vulnerable parts of the garden.

It sounds like Stalag 17 but isn't, it lets light and air in and is good for climbing plants.

After fox had killed (not taken or eaten) several of our chickens and we'd tried everything available we're now very happy - and so are our present hens.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Very true.

They don't run faster than a .223 52gr VMax at 3200fps....

Reply to
Neil Barker

Various options discussed here recently:

the link doesn't work, just Google the archive for "fox diesel".

Reply to
mike

> If the link doesn't work, just Google the archive for "fox diesel". Thanks for that Mike.

What worked for you in the end?

Reply to
Vortex3

Problem is we have 200m of boundary! It's simply not practical.

Our hens often range during the day. The only losses we have ever had are related to humans letting them out too early or not securing them properly at night.

Fox comes to investigate every day just before dawn....

FYI I recently built "the mother of all chickenhouses"

with portcullis style popholes. So far... so good. the next step is actually a ultra secure run about 10m x 5m in size.

Not going to fox deffiing on the balcony though.

Reply to
Vortex3

Got an electric fence you could string round the balcony on a night-time timeswitch?

Or even lay some chickenwire on the deck connected to it...?

Reply to
PCPaul

I only said what our solution was :-)

Ours were all killed during the day, usually in the afternoon. Urban fox don't bother about daylight, buildings or humans.

That makes sense. Unless it's at least 2m high though it will need a roof. A solid roof over part of it is a good idea anyway, to afford shelter from sun and rain. They won't necessarily go into the henhouse.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Diesel rag around the perimeter on a 3 day cycle for around 3 weeks to keep the smell going. After that if the bugger is still persistent get a VERY large dog.

Reply to
RW

Christ, I though you had disappeared from Usenet altogether Neil. I was ordered to go and kill a fox on Friday evening, though it turned into a waste of time, as the fox was spotted for a second at 100 metres, then we never saw it again. Cant use a rifle on it as the land is not safe to shoot over, so only close range shotgun or traps for this one. It looks like I'll be sitting in wait sometime this week when it gets dark. Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

OK.

Getting closer to topicality, I fancy having a stab at making a trap.

I have a mate with a shotgun who can subsequently "do the deed".

If I derive pleasure from this (as is likely), will Nu Labour be on my case?

How the hell do you dispose of a fox carcass in a residential area? Straight in the wheely bin?

Reply to
Vortex3

Not sure about the trap specs, but a wire cage, approx 3 feet square would be ideal, you need a sprung loaded door, so when, either the fox enters the cage, or when it pulls at the meat bait, the door slams shut. Farmers suppliers sell them at £70ish.

Foxes are vermin, so can be killed by landowners or their agents under the 'General Licence'. I'm not up to the full regulations, but AFAIAA, you need to show that the fox has caused a problem for you by taking your animals, or crops etc. This proof will only be required if someone objects to your killing of the fox. If it is a pest, it can be legally killed, so long as you dont use 2 or more dogs to catch it. In real life, the Police/authorities will do nothing when presented with a complaint about someone trapping and killing a fox. It took your chicken the previous week hadnt it?

Disposing of bodies is difficult if you havent any land to bury it. Compost heaps on farms are a good dump. Unscrupulous people dump them at the side of the road at night, to make them look like road kill. A vets practice would take them for a small fee. Oh, and dont use a big shotgun load with a trapped fox. A .410 shotgun to the head is enough for an instant kill, with little mess. Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

I just don't have as much time as I used to for Usenet!

Better get some polystyrene and a bit of glass then :-)

Reply to
Neil Barker

Amazingly, once I'd asked on UK-DIY, the buggers disappeared.

Although now that I've said that, they'll probably come back with diarrhoea.

Reply to
mike

... cunningly bottled as "Human Repellent".

Reply to
Bruce

Leave it in the road.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

  1. Give it to the kids to take into school for the nature table.
  2. Sell it on Ebay (taxidermy supplies)

  1. Give the Mrs the fox-fur stole she's always wanted.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

In message , RW writes

Start a sanctuary for disowned fox hounds

Reply to
Clint Sharp