Boots electric toothbrush

The rechargeable battery in my Boots toothbrush is dying. I think the brush is about 2 years old. I'd like to change the battery, but I don't see how to get it out. If anyone has met and solved this problem, I'd be grateful to learn how.

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

*If* it's the same as the Braun ones: just put it on its charger and turn anticlockwise through 60-90 degrees (the base is like a bayonet fitting) then push the whole lot out by pressing on the metal "driving end".
Reply to
unknown

I thought that was the "self destruct" mechanism before tossing it in the WEEE bin?

Reply to
Andy Burns

It's reversible, or at least was on the Braun toothbrush I had a few years back.

Reply to
Mathew Newton

Dunno about the Boots one. My Philips brush has a disc on the base which can be unscrewed by using the edge of a coin in its slot. [There's a label over the disc, which has to be removed first.]

Once you've removed the disc, you can pull the battery out - complete with its wires (it's the solder tag type). You then have to solder a new battery in place of the old one, and insert it back into the body of the brush. It's quite fiddly getting the wires back in - but I've done it a couple of times during its (quite long) life span.

Reply to
Roger Mills

There are pictures of how to take the Braun electric toothbrushes apart on youtube. - If that helps

I recently bought one of these on ebay for £21.82

Michael Chare

If it's mechanical dump it and get a sonic one. They do a better job of me gumsline and I reckon (just having bought one) that,

1) the heads go on for longer, 2) The handle of Poundshop Colgate standard handheld brushes can be chopped, drilled and adapted to fit!

Win Win.

Reply to
Adrian C

God, I thought I was tight

NT

Reply to
meow2222

How many of those do you get to the pound?

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

I cant use a sonic as the frequency `tickles` my gums to the point of unbearable. For the time I did persevere I thought they were much better at cleaning but had to revert back to a normal electric.

Reply to
ss

Yes, I've just bought a sonic one from ALDI and have used it for a couple of days. Can't say that I like the tickling sensation, but I think I might get used to it.

Reply to
Roger Mills

With a manual hand held toothbrush the dentist told me I was brushing my gums too hard, and suggested flossing them instead. Hmmm, not fast when I'm late for work.

I had a couple of mechanical braun electric brushes with various wonderful Oral-B heads, polishing and flossing. There was a temptation to apply pressure to get the food out of the gaps, particulary with worn heads, but the sides of these oscillatory rotary brushes and me gums? Ouch! To them it's a bit like having an angle grinder attached to the head of a multitool!

So the sonic vibration works for me :)

Reply to
Adrian C

You must remember dentists love to hear themselves talk. There is more bollix talked by both dentists and opticians. Always makes me suspicious they are just trying to justify their existence

Reply to
fred

My son and I purchased an electric toothbrush at the same time. Every three months I fully discharge mine, as a result, up to press, my battery has lasted over a year long than his.

Reply to
Broadback

I don't like the sonic ones either.

Got my daughter one, ands I tried it, but hated the feel of it, sticking with me Braun :-)

Reply to
chris French

Same experience here, with the flossing heads. I pulled the 4 yellow bits out of the head and now it works OK and my gums are no longer sore. OK, some of the flossing action might have gone, but I had 4 new heads to use up.

Reply to
PeterC