Bookshelves - frequency of support

Thanks Dave - the only weakness with the software is that it is US based and has all the US woods, so it becomes a bit of a guessing game as to what wood to select. I had no idea for instance that there is so many oaks in the US.

Anyway, my 'it looks right' approach calculates out at under 30 thou deflection so I think I've got it right !

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

Screwfix prices seems to have come down recently on these, but in the past I have got them from:

they were a bit cheaper...

Reply to
John Rumm

>>> However, this time they're to go along a single large wall (as opposed

18mm plywood with a real wood (aka cheap, fast-growing softwood) strip across the front?
Reply to
Dave Gordon

If you don't support them constantly you may find that the books don't stay where you put them.

Reply to
Si

I used the Sagulator and determined upon 675mm centres. I'm going for

150x25mm softwood in two 2700 lengths biscuit-jointed for the shelves. The price discrepancy between TP (=A35.91/metre) and our local builder's merchant (=A32.61/metre) was quite marked.

Edward

Reply to
teddysnips

> However, this time they're to go along a single large wall (as opposed

Consider also what supports the wall and how much extra weight you are adding to it. Is it a structural wall or a block wall built on the floor or a stud wall? I have once seen a wall fall over because too many books were put on shelves attached to it.

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

> > However, this time they're to go along a single large wall (as opposed

It's an external wall. I used good quality 3.5" screws (10s) into good fixings. I sincerely hope the wall doesn't fall down.

Edward

Reply to
teddysnips