Book to teach 9 year old basic woodworking skills

Does anyone know of a book suitable to teach a 9 year old very basic woodworking skills? By basic I mean he has not seriously handled tools before. Got to start somewhere.....
thanks
Julian Thornhill

Books / can't / teach a 'doing' activity, it needs to be done... He is obviously showing interest so how about encouraging him to watch you (assuming you are able to work with wood...) and then let him, under your supervision, practice on scrap until he gets the hang of the tools and then get him to make his own tool tray and then a simple square topped and square legged table etc. IYSWIM ?
Julian Thornhill wrote:

IMM probably would know the right sort of book...:-)

As others here say, you can't "teach" somebody by getting them to read about a practical subject - they have to be lead, carefully, by the hand until they achieve a degree of competency, after which they can read (and prosper) as much as they like.
However, as "practical" skills diminish, some method of how to operate a machine which does the same job might be appropriate, and time is running out for that as automation takes over. I fear the "Chippendale Years" are over :-(
"They" said that automation would lead to more leisuretime and freedom for the workers - it leads to redundancy and fear!
--
snipped-for-privacy@theobviousdsl.pipex.com
On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 00:17:51 GMT, "Paul King"

Not when they're only 9. Just throw them a pile of timber and some basic tools, and let them learn which way up to hold them first. There's a lot of "sub-basic" hand skills to pick up first, and most 9 year olds just won't have them, unless they've already spent time hanging around a workshop.
I spent this afternoon in my workshop with a 9 year old (he's a regular). I think he learned which way Allen screws rotate (knows screwdrivers - never seen an Allen key before), why I drill pilot holes for screws in MDF and how he should hold a spokeshave to stop it chattering. I don't think that's a bad start for an afternoon.

If he's not already started 'playing' then he might still be too young. Woodwork wasn't taught at school until secondary - although kids will vary.
--
*When a clock is hungry it goes back four seconds.*