Book recommendation - improving fine woodworking skills

Hi all,

I'm fairly competent when it comes to basic, round-the-house type carpentry, but I'd like to improve my finer woodworking skills. I'd actually like to make a jewelry box as a gift.

I'm not having much luck finding a good book to help me, though. All I can find are big thick general carpentry manuals, books on how to build decking and lots of "big" furniture making books.

Can anyone recommend a title or two?

Cheers, Jeremy

Reply to
JC

My local public library has lots of fine woodworking books. So have most other public libraries I've visited. I mention this because only last week I was looking at book there on making decorative boxes, though I don't remember the exact title or author. I like to have a good look at a book before I buy it, so the public library is the ideal source. You can even request books from other libraries catalogues through the inter-library loan system.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

Generally most things published by Taunton Press in their woodworking range are of good quality.

You can look up titles and then usually they are obtainable from Amazon or Axminster Tools among others.

Also, take a look at their web site for Fine Woodworking magazine.

can subscribe to the site and download articles from past issues. There are techniques as well as projects and again generally quite good quality stuff.

Reply to
Andy Hall