Bonding plasterboard

I have an area where, for spacing reasons, it makes sense to add a piece of plasterboard over an existing piece rather than ripping it down, spacing underneath and replacing.

I'm wondering about how to bond the two together.

Plaster, I suspect doesn't make sense, because I don't want to add more thickness or to have the pain of levelling it.

Therefore, I'm thinking of PVA and then screwing the new to the old with drywall screws to hold it while it goes off.

Any other ideas of how to do this?

Reply to
Andy Hall

I think it will be tricky doing it with PVA because of its low viscosity. It won't gap-fill, so you'll need to get the two sheets into close contact. This would work if you were able to screw through the first, through the second and into the joists, but it would take quite a few screws.

In the past I've used water based no-nails products for this with very good results. The water based ones 'ooze' a lot better than the solvent ones, and grab very well. You will need about 3-4 tubes per sheet. This will spread out to form a layer less than a mm thick, but will at the same time grab the two sheets together very effectively.

Screwfix seem to have changed their range since I last bought a batch, so I can't find the one I really liked, but I suspect this Gripfill product:

the same as their old Gripfill solvent free but in a different tube.

Reply to
Grunff

I would use just screws after locating the studs, but PVA won't do any harm.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Good. Excellent. I'd eliminated the solvent based ~Gripfill for this because it's too gungy for this application - wondered about the water based one.

I have a collated screwdriver, so no problems with the screws.....

Reply to
Andy Hall

OK, thanks

Reply to
Andy Hall

When I saw the subject, I'd just been reading the thread about the guy wanting to earth his RSJ, so momentarily put two and two together and came up with 5!

How about plasterboard adhesive? Can be pretty thinly spread, rather than used in conventional dollops, so wouldn't necessarily add to the overall thickness necessarily. Possibly easier to work than Gripfill et al, I don't know?

David

David

Reply to
Lobster