Bonding metal to glass

We have to stick metal posts to a glass counter top to allow the top be fixed in position. The glass is sand blasted on the side the posts would be affixed.

Tried having them UV bonded by a local glass merchant, who to be fair reckoned it wouldn't be any good, and he was right. They all came adrift.

I would have thought this to be straight forward but the more I delve into it the more complicated it becomes. Found 'GOOP' on fleabay and also 'Triolyse'. They both sound wonderful but this is not a job I want to be faffing about with.

Has anyone any personal experience of an application like this ?

Paul Mc Cann

Reply to
fred

HI Paul

I do a lot of sticking metal to glass (fused glass jewellery - but the same principle)

Used to use triolyse, but it can be a bit too brittle, and you can get failures. Don;t know about Goop.

The product I've been using for the last few years is called E6000 - which comes from the USA. I have some little 1fl oz tubes of it that I imported - send me a private email if you're interested in a tube and I can sell you some (from Ireland).

is the manufacturer's website

The key things I've found with this stuff are

- roughen the metal and the glass before sticking (small bit in a Dremel works well)

- degrease both surfaces with Meths, and dry

- work a tiny amount of glue into both surfaces with a toothpick, then hold together and leave well along for 24 hours

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

available from many Buildbase depots... It *Really* does stick like the proverbial.....

Reply to
RCW

Reply to
Andrew May

>> What and odd site. Why are they using Flash for their static images?

Why not ask them not me?

Reply to
RCW

Lots of people do to make stealing them harder, or because the web designer likes flash..

Of course a screen shot captures them just fine....

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Seconded (or indeed any other MS polymer - CT1 is quality, and comes in a great range of colours, but is pricey with it).

Reply to
Bolted