Bolt to tarmac

Need to do this to prevent something going walkies. Question is how, is it just a case of SDS & a specific screw type? Or do I have to make bigger holes & concrete them?

NT

Reply to
meow2222

My daughter's motorbike was locked, but not locked down. It just went missing one night. The police assumed it was thrown in the back of a van, so the theft took maybe 10 seconds.

In answer to your question, do you know what is under the tarmac? And how much trouble would a thief go to?

Reply to
GB

ow, is it just a case of SDS & a specific screw type? Or do I have to make b

gger holes & concrete them?

If there's nothing but hardcore under the tarmac, you can't do it. Tarmac comes up very easy. Could you use a long chain and bolt to something solid?

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

And I would also add one of these alarmed motion sensor padlocks 100dc, various options on ebay for around £6-10. just place in an obscure place on the bike.

ss

it just a case of SDS & a specific screw type? Or do I have to make bigger holes & concrete them?

No idea what's under the tarmac. Its industrial kit worth... hard to say bu t maybe a grand or so, with the potential to use it to make rather more, if a thief accepts the additional work & risks. It has lifting eyes too, I'm wondering about cutting them off, though that would make moving it later ha rder, and it will need to be moved at some point.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Chains are pretty vulnerable. Many can be cut with croppers, hardened ones can be cut with extinguisher plus hammer, and padlocks are weak security. I need to look at the site again to see if there's anything it can be fixed to, not very optimistic though.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

58ce2650f

Like. Though I dont see how 100dB is possible. Could put one inside the thi ng.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I have one and they are loud, I dont use as a padlock as such but more for the motion sensor to make a noise. Be careful of padlocks for security even some of the £20 -£40 ones are easily picked and thats without using a destructive entry method which can be even quicker. If they want to steal your item they will, the best you can do is slow them down and make noise, so layers of security is better than relying on just one method.

Reply to
ss

Can you perhaps whack in three metal poles at the same place but going at different angles under the tarmac? Then weld them together where they emerge above the tarmac.

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

You could try a corkscrew ground anchor or two. You'd need to find a way to fix to them but that could incorporate a means of stopping them from being removed.

Reply to
fred

Or cut out a square patch of tarmac, dig a hole and pour some concrete

Reply to
fred

Get some covers welded up and padlock them through/over the lifting eyes so they can't be used for lifting.

Put anti ram raid bollards or embankments around it so a hiab lorry can't get close enough to lift it.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

You can't bolt it to the tarmac, so you'll need to make a hole and bury something to attach it to. There are motorbike anchors available, or for less money a concrete fence post. If there's concrete under the tarmac, you can obviously attach to that, instead.

Sorry, not what you wanted to hear.

Reply to
GB

I'm trying to work out how those would work. I can't imagine it.

Yes. Unfortunately the site operators wont entertain it. Part of me would like to cut the eyes off, but not sure how we'd then move it later. Weight is from a quarter to a half ton apiece.

I am dense - U shaped staples bolted in would work. In service they can be replaced with ss bolts.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

is it just a case of SDS & a specific screw type? Or do I have to make bigg er holes & concrete them?

y but maybe a grand or so, with the potential to use it to make rather more , if a thief accepts the additional work & risks. It has lifting eyes too, I'm wondering about cutting them off, though that would make moving it late r harder, and it will need to be moved at some point.

Its all good. I dont think site operators would let us dig a big hole, and for the same reason we can't keep hiabs away.

If there is concrete underneath presumably an SDS is the drill of choice to find out.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I'd love to. Do it several times and we're bound to hit something, so I guess we need a catscanner.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Fixing to the corkscrew is easy, they're designed to be fixed down. Getting permission to wack a hole in the tarmac so we can screw down might prove difficult though.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

If you padlock a box over the lifting eye, you won't be able to get a hook through the eye and lift it.

Obviously the box will be removed after an effort, but it's about slowing the scrotes down.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

You need to defined the problem a bit more...

Could you chain it to some of those concrete barriers:

Each one would be liftable with a small crane or big hiab. However several interlocked and chained together would make it all too much bother.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Can you put 'it' in a shipping container and park other containers next to/around it and weld/bolt them together? Hiabs can lift only one container at a time.

What does your insurer require though?

Would (battery powered if necessary) construction site CCTV cameras with motion detector and remote monitoring be possible?

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog