Bolt thread 6mm 14-15tpi

You sure its not 3/8"?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

1/4" UNC 20 tpi.

Cheers

Reply to
Syd Rumpo

Depending where it was made, might be American Course? The head is a good guide for that - will be imperial AF.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

FWIW, that's what's usually used for camera tripods, so should be easy to check.

Cheers

Reply to
Syd Rumpo

It's nowhere near 9.5mm. Vernier calipers say 6mm.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

How is a bolt with 14-15tpi going to be 20tpi?

Reply to
tabbypurr

The head's 4mm allen.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Well punk, we have to decide whether this is a bolt made to a completely novel specification, or whether you have made a mistake.

Given the cost of tooling for an entirely new thread.....

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Dia & tpi don't match any UNC screws, it's coarser than those.

Since I seem to be going nowhere, I'm now wondering how to insert them then add some kind of extension to give another inch or so. Maybe I should consult the spam folder.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I hadn't quite realised that the prongy bit was so visible. Can't you prise it out and put something else there? With a standard thread, ofc.

Reply to
GB

Measured on my monitor, across the threads is 39mm. If that's really

6mm, then 1/2" or 12.7mm would be 82.5mm on the monitor. I set my calliper to 82.5mm and count 10 threads in that distance, so either it's 20 tpi or it's not 6mm.

Cheers

Reply to
Syd Rumpo

I took it out & measured it for the 3rd or 4th time, and some of you were right, I had repeatedly misread the inch scale and it's 20tpi, so UNC.

Thank you to everyone!

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I find it hard to believe this is a dibnah thread. Surely the seat wasn't made in the US?

Reply to
Adrian

As I said., a process of probability assignation is useful: To construct a machine to make both a spire nut and a bolt to an entirely non standard thread is simply massive in return for no discernible benefit whatsoever.

Ergo one or other of the measurements must be wrong. Diameter is a lot harder to get wrong than TPI.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Depending on thread diameter, some metric bolts are pretty close to AC at a casual glance. To the point where a nut will sort of 'fit'.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

As I suspected Staples HQ is in the US. So we get chinese chairs specced there.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

That's what I realised. At some point.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Isn't this exactly the same issue that comes up time and again? People convince themselves of one set of events and then tie all of the conflicting information into knots to correspond with their incorrect mindset.

It's what let the Air France crew keep their aircraft in a stall from

30,000 feet into the ocean, fighting the computer which would have resolved the issue nicely. Or the issue with the roller coaster.
Reply to
GB

Er no. The computer would have done something nasty since it was being fed false information from a pitot head

Or the issue with the roller coaster.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Ah, was that it? I forget some of the details. I certainly remember them fighting to keep the nose up far too high, so as to maintain the stall. I don't think the computer could have got it wronger.

Reply to
GB