boilers and insurance can we believe it?t

I can't recall the exact guarantee but they have always fixed it next day, even when they had to make two journeys to pick up extra parts.

I can't imagine anyone else giving such a promise.

Reply to
Mark

Trained by BG with their 400% mark-up ? The average price for a boiler pcb is £80-150 with a few around the £250 mark, much less if you get a reconditioned board.

I find it staggering you have not discovered Google.

-
Reply to
Mark.

Well my boiler's running on a fan that was a replacement from (let me plug him too!) cetltd.co.uk. It's actually the second replacement, the first one only lasted a couple of years :( must have been a dud this one has lasted ages.

We've been in this house for over 15 years. Same boiler. 12 quid a month for 15 years - that's over 2 grand. Enough in the bank so if it does go wrong tomorrow and I _can't_ fix it I can afford to replace it.

Also, check the terms. I heard someone's small print on the radio the other day saying they'll come out and inside 24 hours except at times of unusual demand.

Translated they might come and look at it if they aren't too busy, but they won't fix it unless it's easy.

I _like_ having a backup immersion heater, gas fire, electric heaters...

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

In message , Mark writes

They say "begin fixing" on the TV ad IIRC

Reply to
geoff

In message , Booty writes

Sounds very bad advice if someone repairs the board without appreciating the functionality properly and misses something (modureg drive for example)

The insurance company might not be too impressed either

Reply to
geoff

Everyone seemed to be doing quite well without me

Yeah, I'm the man who repairs boiler pcbs

well, not me personally any more, but

Has the OP been going around with earplugs and a blindfold? Never watched watchdog or any of the other programs that has shown BG up for the rip off artists they are? I expect some of the employees actually get drawn into the bullshit

Reply to
geoff

Geoff if there's something that you dont know anthing about, and you ask on a newgroup; we must be sure to make similar sniffy comments about you. Mark..one of those who think google is the voice of the *almighty*?

Sometimes the opinions of those in the know 'tossed about', make for much more insight about the real world, wouldnt you say? How do you google for that?

Thanks to all for the sensible and helpful contributions.

Reply to
john lewis

All you had to do was put_ reconditioned central heating pcb _into google

But then you also seem to half believe an ex BG man when he told you that boiler PCBs cost £600, some people really need a good..............

-
Reply to
Mark

In message , john lewis writes

Well, certainly of you had googled for your boiler pcb (whatever it is) on google you would see how much they actually cost

and, are we meant to be telepathic in knowing which of the dozens of boilers there is the one you might have

don't have a go at me for your laziness

Reply to
geoff

Well, one normally expects a cursory search before making such sweeping statements as yours....!

If you had typed, let's say...."repair boiler circuit board"....into Google, the very first non-sponsored hit would have been:

the one I mentioned a lot earlier (not sure if you saw it, because it was never acknowledged by you). They have an excellent reputation.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Better than BG, who sent someone out within a few hours but did not have any parts and didn't appear to know much about anything. Took them 13 visits to replace a valve! Needless to say I stopped my maintenance contract then.

Reply to
Mark

Huge

Any sensible company offering such services has such a force majeure (aka "get out") clause in the T&Cs. Why should they be liable for not being able to fix your boiler within 48hrs when there is 3' of level snow on the ground?

BT instigated their force majeure clause for fault repairs over quite a bit of Scotland and the NE the other week.

Any sensible household has at least one reasonable backup for each major element of a house; light, heat, cooking and entertainment.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Just a thought - based on the cost of a boiler PCB - how much would a computer cost - or a TV?

Reply to
John

Quite.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If you have to ask, you can't afford it ...

It's not a question that would give a sensible repluy

There are a huge number of boiler pcbs with very different levels of complexity. Complexity has little to do with the price

compare the Worcester 24i junior which is a fairly complicated pcb at £94.95

the potterton profile at £120.46

profile contains three transistors

Reply to
geoff

its like you go into a pub and there is about thirty sweaty old salts, plumbers, electricians and various top experts with umpteen years of experience; and you say sorry lads to break up the conversation about naked women. But i know s*d all about plumbing (but have a degree in fission and a docturate in psychology) and could you give your opinion about someone elses opionion about boilers.

Up chirps Mark and Geoff from the ladies table, " I find it staggering you have not discovered Google". ....Get the drift? Lighten up for god's sake.....

Reply to
john lewis

To which the response (quite rightly) would be "f*ck off and die, tosspot"

Reply to
Huge

But no degree or docturate? in common sense or social skills i see.

-
Reply to
Mark