Boiler under Work Surface

Currently have a Potterton Nettaheat 10-16 which works ok but has been running since 1979 so probably due an update. Would like to replace with a fan assisted room sealed condensing boiler and intend keeping my hot water cylinder.

The space I would like to fit it in is underneath the work-surface in the corner(currently wasted space). It is near enough a 60cm x 60cm x

90cm space and will be closed off on 2 sides by the external wall and one side by a fixed kitchen unit with a fixed work-top covering it. The open side would be closed off by a tumble dryer which can easily be pulled out for access( and the next is a washing machine which can also come out if more space is needed for access)

One boiler/heating installer has looked at this but didn't want to install here as he thought access for servicing would be difficult. This seems a bit unreasonable, as access may be a bit more awkward, but no worse than in an airing cupboard.

Can anyone see any problems with this?

I guess I can cut a trapdoor into the worksurface if access to the top of the unit is absolutely essential, but looking at the design of most of these boilers front access seems the most important and the current boiler has the roof above it.

My current flue outlet is at the current boiler height, are there any problems with running the flue vertically from the lower placement?

Are there any issues with mounting the standard wall mounted boilers lower down, ventilation etc? Any recommendations for fitters in/around Putney? Thanks in advance

Alaister

Reply to
gonzo

Go to the makers web sites and download the manuals for possible models then see if they fit. The makers specify both the operational and servicing clearances.

The height is likely to be the limiting factor. Many boilers have a rear flue (cf. top flue) option which may well help.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Have a look at the worcester bosch 440 - standard appliance size , service from front

Regards Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Just consider that during winter gas appliance repairers are gold dust We hate leaning over into a cupboard in an uncomofortable positio trying to service an appliance. If yours is particularly badly placed we'll come out the first time, once we know what a pain in the neck i is we'll ignore your calls. Additionally a 15 minute job turns into a hour in some awkwardly placed boilers. Time is money.

I recently had a really difficult task changing the diverter valve on boiler fitted in a kitchen half under and half over the bench. I had t reach through a corner cupboard to isolate the boiler (took about 1 mins just to isolate it and it had to be done twice as it leaked firs time, also the isolation valves were all leaking afterwards. I said i you get a kitchen fitter to remove thje kitchen unit and give me fre access to the boiler I'll change those for you. It was all I could d just to turn them on this occasion.

You might not realise it, but I'm a pretty reasonable guy and I fi most things,I made a mental note never to go back. The only thing wors than a badly positioned boiler is owners who can't control their dogs.

It's your choice. If you think your boiler is going to work for eve put it in your pressy little place

-- Paul Barker

Reply to
Paul Barker

Thanks for your replies guys. I've looked around the websites and it seems the space would be pretty squeezy. I appreciate your points Paul, thats the main reason I asked on the forum.

It seems that a niche exists for a boiler that fits in the corner unit(wasted space in pretty much every kitchen I've been in .... service from the top perhaps?

gonzo